• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

coolant flush

flyerd124

Hello all. I am new to the group. Lots of info on here its great. The problem I am having is a head gasket on the deuce blew due to a water pump going out. The head gasket and water pump have all been changed and the deuce runs great but how would you recommend flushing the cooling system to remove the oil that got into it?

Don

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

how would you recommend flushing the cooling system to remove the oil that got into it?
There are a lot of commercial flushes out there but I'm not sure they are good for oil. Dawn dish washing liquid is great for cutting grease and oil. Run a mixture of that and water through there and then flush with clean water a couple of times.

flyerd124

Ok sounds simple. I have plenty of dawn dish soap around. So drain it and fill with dawn and water, run it up to temperature, drain it and do the same over again a couple of times with just plain water? What would you recommend for new coolant after I'm done? Opps also how much soap? Is it possible to use to much?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

What would you recommend for new coolant after I'm done? Opps also how much soap? Is it possible to use to much?
Any coolant that is rated for diesels will work. Make sure it says it's for diesels on the jug.

I would use a pretty strong mix.....75 water and 25 Dawn. Let it get hot and then flush. Do one more flush with the mix and then do a flush with plain water. If the water still has oil residue in it after a second flush then hit it with the mix one more time.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You sure about the Dawn stuff? I thought you were supposed to use something that was minimally "foaming". I have heard Cascade for dishwashers is what most equipment places use.

Not certain, but it doesn't hurt to check around.