• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant hose replacements

colsoncj

I need to replace at least two of my coolant hoses, so I'm planning on fixing all of them. Heres where I need the help. I count 7 hoses:

1. Upper Radiator Hose, Diameter - 2", Length - unknown, Cross Ref - NAPA 24032.
2. Lower Radiator Hose, Diameter - 2", Length - unknown, Cross Ref - NAPA 20611 Gates 7759 or 7372?
3. Hose from Waterpump to Oil Cooler Pipe, Diameter - 2", Length - unknown, Cross Ref - N/A (straight single diameter hose).
4. Hose from Oil Cooler Pipe to Oil Cooler, Diameter - 2", Length - unknown, Cross Ref - N/A
5. Hose from Water pump to Thermostat Housing, Diameter - 2", Length - unknown, Cross Ref - N/A
6. Rear Hose for Water Manifold, Diameter 1.75", Length - unknown, Cross Ref - N/A.
7. Front hose for Water Manifold, Diameter - 1.75", Length - unknown, Cross Ref - N/A.

Can anyone help provide some current NAPA, Autozone, Oreilly, etc. part numbers for close hoses, and/or provide diameters for the straight hoses?

Also, are there any other hoses I missed (besides the heater hoses)?

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Lower radiator hose I'd get from Saturn Surplus for 28.50. As I haven't found a hose out on the market with the correct curves. Everything else can be found at NAPA. If you click on my M109A3 Project link below I show all the NAPA hoses and the installation of a coolant filter as well.
Good time to give your entire coolant system a good flushing and replace your belts while you're at it;-)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick search for coolant hose, or any associated words will probably result in dozens of threads where this has all been covered before. You did SEARCH, right?

Simply look down at the bottom of this page, and you will see several threads that were suggested before you submitted this thread.

There are 2 different lower hoses that are close to correct. Only the true military hose is exactly the same. All the rest are simply straight hoses. All the hoses have been discussed previously and sizes posted.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
iirc, 1.75" and 2"

colsoncj

That seems to be the most common sizes I found listed in the threads so I added them to the first post. Still looking for the cross ref num for lower hose, and any lengths for hoses so future searchers can grab the info and get to PM'in their rigs!

BTW thanks for the help thus far to everyone. Much appreciated.

colsoncj

Thanks doghead... I added those to the top. I had pulled up some more threads to read through for the p/n but got called away to work. I believe the first thread you posted is one of the ones I meant to read through.

mbc

Just replaced the 2" hoses and lower radiator hose on my deuce. Along with the belts. All came from NAPA. I bought 3' of 2" radiator hose. Was plenty to do all. Even had a short section left to carry for a spare. Next is the 1.75 hose on the manifold.

colsoncj

Well, got all the hoses changed except the lower radiator. Ended up breaking a bolt in the water manifold, but it was no big deal getting it out... I feel a lot better about driving it long distances, and no more leaks!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a good feeling knowing your hoses are new.

lavarok

Water manifold hoses on the top of the engine are 1 5/8 diameter not 1.75

The believe the suggested LENGTH is 1.75". Anything longer and it is a PITA to reinstall the manifolds.

I just did all the hoses on a M109 over this past weekend. Napa sells belted hose by the foot in 2" and 1 5/8" diameters.

I used 1/32" gasket material to cut new gaskets for the manifolds and the thermostat. No leaks!

colsoncj

I used 1.75" and it worked great. I dont remember the gasket material I used but it was the blue rubber cellulose I believe. It worked great as well. Went ahead and changed the thermostat and seal as well.

As long as it works...

When I recovered my deuce I lost my lower radiator hose.

I decided had to pull off and readjust the mirror on the passenger side of the truck, ( I had a wonderful view of the rear wheels ) when it happened. As I rolled into the rest stop a truly impressive amount of steam came out from under the hood. ( "This is not good.", I thought. )

I pulled to a stop and found the lower hose was blown. ( I had been expecting the upper one which had been duct taped to fail. ) I also noted that having the hose fail at the rest area was about as convenient as you could get.

My buddy, who had been driving chase, took the hose to the nearest parts store. He handed it to the parts man and told him to please match it. The parts guy guessed it was from sort of farm tractor and did his magic. My buddy ended up with a hose that was too long but could be cut to fit. ( We actually used it to replace both the upper and lower radiator hoses. )

My thanks still go out to the truckers who walked over to the deuce to make sure I and it were doing OK. Particularly the woman trucker who commented "We have to look out for each other, it can be a battle ground out here."

Attachments

Beyond Biodiesel

Replacement hose part numbers was not the issue, but a little how-to would have helped. So this is who I did it.

When putting on my radiator hoses, I found them all unbelievably difficult. The bottom bent hose I found a replacement for at O'Reilly Auto Parts. It was a MasterPro 20611. It only had one bend in it, but I was able to fit it on without a kink. The other hose was a Gates 22516. I cut it in half to accommodate the 2 smaller diameter hose connections.

The upper hose that runs under the injector pipes was one of the most difficult. It took me 6 days to get it on.

The hose is 2” ID, the barb on the bent pipe was about 2 1/8”. I do not know what the OD of the casting on the manifold was, because I did not measure it, but it was significantly larger. It was probably at least 2 ¼” OD.

So, I finally found that I could soften the hose first by put it in hot coolant water. I then installed both of the hoses onto each end of the J pipe, and I used the J pipe to install the other end of the 2” hose onto the manifold. I used the J pipe for leverage and twisted and pushed it on.

I pre-cut the hose length at 3”, so that I could use the J pipe to push it onto the manifold casting.

The 2 hoses on the intake manifold required removal of the 2 piece water manifold, and cutting new gaskets, then the same treatment of cutting the hose to 3”, then heating it in hot coolant, then pushing it on.

I also replaced the belts at the same time, because they are in the way of the hoses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks