• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

coolant leak behind waterpump, seemingly ?

panheadric

it seems that I have coolant dripping from the backside of the front pulley but only after driving it for awhile. I left it idling in front of my shop for about 30 minutes ,no leak. drove into town & it leaks for awhile ( about a cup full) when I got back.
any answers ?
also where do I buy water pump to block gaskets ( was thinking that might be that ) & how full do you fill the radiator , bottom of cap,bottom of fill tube or to where?
thanks, ric

hoop

Each truck maintains a different level. It will push out what it does not want. Make sure you check the hose's.
Bad water pump or gasket.........Not likely, but could happen.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If its leaking just behind the water pump pulley and not the housing, you are looking at buying a new water pump. Make sure the engine is good and clean so you can see a drip if one starts.

I suggest tightening your hose clamps first to make sure they are tight. Start off with the simple things and try not to over think the problem just yet.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
there is no water pump to block as i recall. you just need a new pump. if it comes out behind the pulley and in front of the pump, that is the shaft seal, just like any water pump.

tom

panheadric

I'll look closer & check the hose's . I just thought it was strange to not leak all the time the motor ran. the leak is driping steady when it leaks from behind the bottom pulley/ balancer & the block.
thanks for all the help & idea's,
ric

onegmjack

Not as much pressure just idling as driving down road.Water pump seals are funny some times.
Don't see a lot of water pump problem on the Deuce,not since I have been on the site.

zout

Just to add to the post of M-35Tom - the leak is most likely from the water pump shaft seals. That is the reason the water pump has what is called a "weep hole" so any leaking fluid can escape the pump and not stay maintained internally in the pump (which would build pressure making you think you had a headgasket failure).

Water pump shaft seals can leak only when coolant is cold - they can also leak when the coolant just gets hot !!! or just plain leak when they want to hot or cold.

Grab the ole TM's and proceed with a water pump replacement.

panheadric

I finally got around to putting a new NOS water pump (bought from a big military truck supplier) & it started leaking out of the weep hole also just not as bad , right after start up . does anybody rebuild these in oregon /washington area. I'm sure it just needs a new seal .

panheadric

any answers ? I really hate to buy another brand new NOS water pump ,put it on & have it leak again ,bad enough I paid for the new one that leaks.

davykeith

Any solutions? I have the same issue. Appears to be leaking around water pump. I have yet to be able to view the check valve as it's hard to see / access. I'm thinking replace pump and shaft seal?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Some would put UV dye into the coolant for finding leaks.
Leaks will glow under fluorescent black light, stuff is about 7 bucks.
Leak will show as a glow under UV light, like your blacklight
or a new LED UV flashlight is 9 bucks at Wally World.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks