• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant leak

Hasdrubal

I noticed some coolant leaking on the ground. Looks like its coming from the harmonic balancer, all hoses and connections are good. Appears to be a water pump failure. From underneath it looks like the bottom of the pump is wet where there is a small hole. Think I read about this weep hole leaking a little bit as a sign the pump is gone. How long do I have before it goes south?

Found the relative section in the TM's but no posts on s search. Any words of wisdom from someone who has done this before or a post link?

Hasdrubal

What I meant by going south was could I drive it tomorrow to get parts as my coolant overflow tank is still full. The TM's call for Pipe sealant ; is this white wrap around tape or a brush on type similiar to neverseize?

sierrajcharlie

My son had his pump doing the same thing and lasted a week before we could get it changed. I had one go out on my pickup awhile back and it just totally blew. Not a hose, but everything came out of the weep hole. Within 300 ft I dropped all the fluid, luckily I pulled into my driveway as it emptied.
Your results may vary.

rlwm211

If your pump fails drastically you will lose your radiator. What happens is that the seal is failing and when it goes, the bearings in the waterpump are next. When they go the fan will tear the back of the radiator apart.

That would be one very expensive trip to the parts store.

My suggestion is to find an alternate means of getting your pump and avoid driving the truck. By the time the pump is leaking enough to see it on the ground, it is terminal and a disaster waiting to happen if you do not change it pronto.

RL

Hasdrubal

Raining today, so I borrowed a car and went to buy all the parts, will do it tomorrow. Read the TM's and several other web sources, one talks of a gasket between the plate and the block but the TM's only say to use Anaerobic sealing compound. Am I missing this gasket or is this misinformation?