• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant Leaking from Head

lincolntwilliams

I went out to diagnose a hard start from this morning. I planned on testing the glow plug relay but the engine was too warm for to keep cycle the relay… I think… So I decided to look for fuel leeks and noticed the side of the IP was wet. Looks like there may be a small leak around the throttle shaft. While I was in there I noticed some coolant around the base of the heads… see photos. On the passenger side look just next to the transmission vacuum valve (proper nomenclature?) for a small green bead. On the drivers side there is a pretty good wet line, its hard to miss. The other photo of the Ip is just showing how damp it is… driver.jpgIP.JPGpass.JPG

Anyway are both of my head gaskets shot? Seems really weird that they both would go. It has used some coolant recently. Power is good. The truck doesn't smoke. OD says 51k.

cucvrus

My guess is the coolant cross over manifold gaskets are leaking. Do a coolant system pressure test. While you are at changing the front one change the rear cover plate and coolant sensor plate gasket as well. it will take about 2 hours and cost less then $10. for the gaskets. You will need to drain the coolant system. Good Luck. that is just my guess from afar. Let me know how you made out.

Chaski

2nd what cucvrus says.

Pressure testing is the way to go. Also I have seen a crossover crack, so be careful with your inspection.