• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant Tank Keeps Cracking!

Edis06

So, I was trying to release my old, stuck radiator cap and I must have cracked the riveted seal on the neck of the tank. I replaced the cap with a new one and it started leaking at the rivets. So, I ordered a new, plastic tank and sealed the old tank with epoxy to get me by. The new tank came in and I swapped it out but I still had a small leak. It seemed to be leaking at the top hose. I trimmed down the hose (plenty of slack at the top small hose) and refitted tightly. It stopped leaking there but then it started leaking in a new crack on the side of the tank, above the main hose connection!

I now ordered a new one and tried to seal it with epoxy (removed the tank, dried it, sanded it, etc.) but the leak went right through the epoxy! There must be tons of pressure to cause a leak like that.

Anyway, is this a common problem? The original one lasted 20 years and the new one only lasted a month so I'm reluctant to trust another plastic tank at this point.

Anyone have experience with MME's aluminum tanks?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Watch out for cheap imported tanks. Usually they are a white ish plastic. OEM have a light brown - mustard color. Make sure the hoses have slack as to not transmit engine vibrations to the tank fittings.

Will post my story later on my tank replacement.

No more crappy parts in the Humv, CAMO

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you spent less than about $250 on the expansion tank, there is a 99% chance it was a chinese import, and those are known to have major issues.

Mine was cracked when I bought my truck (with only 32 miles on it) and at the time an OEM tank was about the same price as an aftermarket aluminum tank.
I seriously recommend the aluminum tank, the only thing about installing mine was I had to move the air conditioning hose a little (system wasn't charged yet so not an issue) by loosening it at the compressor, as the aluminum tank was slightly (less than 1/4") longer than the OEM tank.

Last edited:

Edis06

Well, although I have a new plastic replacement on the way, I just ordered the aluminum tank as well, sent overnight. I guess I'll just keep the plastic as a spare just in case the aluminum arrives defective - otherwise, I'll resell it for a steep discount.

Thanks for the insight.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a make you feel better suggestion. Make sure oil dipstick is just showing oil and no water ( typically looks like a chocalate shake) to make sure head gasket ok and no cracks/gremlins. Is temperature running normal?

I have seen weird things in the civy world as pressure needs to go somewhere and finds the weak link.......

But as stated previously, you might have a chinacom knock off. many on ebay. Who is the seller and what is their feedback?

Edis06

Just a make you feel better suggestion. Make sure oil dipstick is just showing oil and no water ( typically looks like a chocalate shake) to make sure head gasket ok and no cracks/gremlins. Is temperature running normal?

I have seen weird things in the civy world as pressure needs to go somewhere and finds the weak link.......

But as stated previously, you might have a chinacom knock off. many on ebay. Who is the seller and what is their feedback?
Yes, everything is good. I change the oil frequently since it's so easy - like every 2K or so and I check it often so I'd definitely notice it. I'm used to changing oil on dry sump Ferrari motors which takes forever. This thing is literally 15 min with no jacks needed!

The one thing I learned (and suspected but now confirmed) is that the synthetic blend WILL find leaks. I switched back to dino oil and just bumped up the change frequency and it runs like new. There is a light seepage at the rear of the valve cover gaskets but other than that it's dry.

As for the temp, it's good. The fans cycle out on schedule in the hot Florida sun.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Ok ...Back to tell the story. Ready?

I too have had overflow tank issues. Being the guy that says "if it ain't broke don't fix it" or this time have some cash to throw at Mr. Humv so bought one of those new style overflow tanks. You see them all over for about a 100 bucks. Out of the box... looked real nice, bright and white, not like the old dingy faded yellowish old one and it bolted right up.

A year goes by and I can smell the hot stench of antifreeze. It doesn't take much and hound dog nose is going nuts and as typical can't find the leak. So look, feel, sniff and the old tighten the clamp for the heck of it. Weeks go by and still sniffing and a stinking on and off. This is a bit worry some as I can usually get right to problems. Well, lucky this old dog... truck wizzed on the driveway. GOT YA NOW.

Tracked it down to you guess it... the almost new tank. After removal... old dog was a barking mad. Two inch crack right thru the white plastic.taank2.jpg and a close up between the black markertank4.jpg

Not the hot glue or JB weld guy so the search was on for new and R&R ASAP. Found one from well respected parts supplier Walkers., $68. Thanks Dave.
Had it in hand two days later and now comes the real story.

Side by side something wasn't right. Color of mil spec one was that faded yellow. Who cares about color? So in it goes. Perfect fit,

SO today with nothing to do.... the help of non-destructive tester "86humv' and my big hammer and sawzall, we discovered the following:

Different colors. Hammer test showed white plastic was tough. Didn't bang on the new one, in service.

Slightly different in the molds, noticeably forward lip around the filler neck. The old white one has a thinner steel filler tested with magnet with bright yellow zinc plating (brass like look). Mil spec. Heavy brass. The real deal.

tank5.jpgCheap ass steel with worn lip at cap seal showing rusty steel... DAMM ! (screws missing for test)

tank screws.jpgScrews holding filler to white tank, cheeze funky metric, sloppy pitch, low grade stainless. Mil spec tank 6-32.

Sawzall reveled additional deep and long cracks inside almost to the surface near lower outlet. Tank never was frozen to burst or swell.

tank crack.jpg This looks a little weird. Photo of inside tank showing another crack in the making ... Errr cracks. Brown lines LOL.

Just read this in another thread "and if you don't mind cheap chinesium parts" I DO, buyers beware.

It's something to add to your HumV knowldge notes. The easy magnet test to the filler, points to the IMO knock off tank.

Last photo clearly shows a bum tank, CAMO

Thanks for the scientific testing Mr. 86humv and lunch.

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cage code { MFR } of Camo's defective tank...1DS87, ...American Custom Rotomoulding....part number 12340061.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Little plastic tanks cost a bunch, can't make one or fix one but should get OEM

Tank, Radiator, Overflow ; M1097 Hummer Humvee ; 12340061 2930-01-256-5350
Brand: TACOM
Amazon eBay, many places, about $120, little less than the simple tank for a Caprice!
If purchased on those major sites than can get the replacement guarantee.
3-Year Auto Parts Protection Plan for $13.99

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor

Amazon eBay, many places, about $120, little less than the simple tank for a Caprice!
A quick search of American Custom Molding turns up nothing?? American Custom Rotomolding... looks on line to be a real quality company. Employee reviews, not so good. It is the internet, Soooooo. Thanks for the numbers 86humv.

Close up view of the Amazon product linked above is a spitting image of the one that failed AND note NOT an USA / America / Red white & blue product.

Keyword in ad " Non-Domestic Product " Could / should be a clue. Looks exactly like the the one that failed. If it comes with a cheesie cap, another clue. Other popular sites looked the same IMO.

The magnet test of the filler inlet is the definitive test. If it sticks, It sucks.

It's your money, your choice, or my bad luck, CAMO.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

So somehow the TACOM brand can make and sell them at 1/3 the cost of any other U.S. manufacturer/seller?

I checked the Amazon listing for the tank.
First it says "Country/Region of Manufacture: United States"
Then later is states "Non-Domestic Product: Yes"

So it's a U.S. made product that isn't a domestic product....

To further compare the two, the OEM tanks are NOT pure white. They are more of a beige color. They also have a visible diagonal seam.
Picture below taken from https://genuinehumveeparts.com/product/12340061surge-tank-assembly It clearly shows the color, the seam, and the design of the flares on the hose nipples.
SURGE TANK ASSEMBLY

Below is the TACOM tank. Obviously different plastic color, different mold design, no flare on the hose nipples. No way is this an OEM tank.

Here is one from the alibaba website. Notice anything similar?
Hc1fe096331ff4b3c85e7c8a3bf869ac31.jpg

So to go back to rule number one of buying stuff off the internet: If it seems too good to be true, it usually is"

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not the only failure of a coolant tank
picture from post 26 of that thread

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
So after I read all this, If it were me, I would get an OEM from those listed below. Might be $300. Anybody know?
2930-01-256-5350 Manufacturer
MFG SKUCAGEManufacturerTypeStatusRole
1234006134623AM General LLCAA
559607934623AM General LLCAA
2930012329695SCY13E.C.A Etablissement Central DESMR
2930012565350SCY13E.C.A Etablissement Central DESMR
2930PL07036859009HInspektorat Wsparcia SIL ZbrojnychHA
1234006119207U S Army Tank Automotive CommandAA
2930-01-256-5350 Replaces the Following Cancelled NSN
Cancelled NSNCancelled NIIN
2930-01-186-0862011860862
2930-01-232-9695012329695

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Just told the guys where I got mine. 68 bucks. OEM from Walkers while supplies last. Search the E place item # 233574076888

Doesn't have to cost 250 bucks. Scroll up to post #10 and if that's not convincing your knock off half shafts are next.

Another one bites the dust, CAMO

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So after I read all this, If it were me, I would get an OEM from those listed below. Might be $300. Anybody know?
2930-01-256-5350 Manufacturer
MFG SKUCAGEManufacturerTypeStatusRole
1234006134623AM General LLCAA
559607934623AM General LLCAA
2930012329695SCY13E.C.A Etablissement Central DESMR
2930012565350SCY13E.C.A Etablissement Central DESMR
2930PL07036859009HInspektorat Wsparcia SIL ZbrojnychHA
1234006119207U S Army Tank Automotive CommandAA
2930-01-256-5350 Replaces the Following Cancelled NSN
Cancelled NSNCancelled NIIN
2930-01-186-0862011860862
2930-01-232-9695012329695
Just an observation that I hadn't seen before. Appears that two of the manufacturers are foreign. One French and the other Polish? So OEM doesn't necessarily mean "Made in the USA".
- HoveringHMMWV

Edis06

UPDATE!!!

I put an overnight rush on the plastic tank replacement (from SECO, who initially sold me the one that failed last month) and the custom aluminum one from MME.

The new replacement from SECO arrived sealed in the original bag inside the sealed box. This box was the exact dimensions of the tank, indicating this was prepared and sealed from the manufacturer.

Are you ready for this?

On the bottom of the box was a small gold sticker that read "Made in Taiwan."

Mystery solved.

I elected to set aside the $115 paperweight and install the aluminum tank. Done deal.

Last edited:

Edis06

For the record, these parts (none of them) were purchased on eBay. In fact, I don't order anything point n click. If the vendor doesn't have a phone number with a human on the other end willing to accept my CC info via phone, I shop elsewhere.

Here are the pics of the tank. Both the original and this one were purchased at SECO. I am not at all pointing fingers at SECO for selling defective parts intentionally. I'm just pointing out the details of the parts I received and my experience thus far.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks