• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant test strips

Ajax MD

I completely flushed the coolant system in my M813 a year ago. I got the water coming out pretty clean.
I replaced with ordinary green coolant (per Wes's advice IIRC) and then I added the proper amount of SCA.

For fun, I dipped a test strip into the overflow tank this weekend and the SCA portion of the test strip says "PURGE" as in, drain the system and start again. All the other coolant qualities were in the acceptable ranges on the test strip.

I used Wix test strips and admittedly, they expired a year ago and they've been kept in a sealed bottle in the truck's glovebox.

Are Wix test strips garbage?
Is storing them in the truck a bad idea? (heat, humidity, etc)

I just ordered a set of Fleetguard strips. I also need to top off the system so I'll do that and then I'll drive the truck around to ensure that the coolant circulates in the overflow tank before I test the coolant again.

Ajax MD

Well shoot. It looks like I performed the test incorrectly in a few ways:

1. Test coolant that is above 50F degrees. My engine was stone cold and the coolant was well below 50F.
2. Test from the radiator petcock, not the tank.
3. "Discard kit if nitrite test pads of unused strips have turned tan-to-brown" The SCA pad is definitely brown, nearly black. I think these are junk.

I'll go back and do it again.

CMPPhil

Well shoot. It looks like I performed the test incorrectly in a few ways:

1. Test coolant that is above 50F degrees. My engine was stone cold and the coolant was well below 50F.
2. Test from the radiator petcock, not the tank.
3. "Discard kit if nitrite test pads of unused strips have turned tan-to-brown" The SCA pad is definitely brown, nearly black. I think these are junk.

I'll go back and do it again.
Thanks for sharing, keep us posted on how test with new strips and done by the instructions. Look at the good side, think of all the money you save by not draining the antifreeze based on a bad test.

Cheers Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks