• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant Thermostats....USA made anymore?

Asmoday

So I was putting in a new thermostat today. I picked up a Napa unit(which they had to order) which is made by Stant and was really pissed when I got it home, pulled it out of the box and saw it was made in China...:mad:

So does anyone know what brand of thermostats are still made in the good ole' USA? New one from GM dealer perhaps?

I will actually go to the trouble to pull the Stant unit back out and put a USA made one in if I can find one.

I also don't like the fact that the Stant unit has rubber around the puck portion. They original GM unit that came out was all metal...just how I like them!

Thanks...:grin:

Cucvnut

To be honest I doubt it not much automotive wise is made here. some times I find stuff made in Canada and that's enough for me. lol

Nickaru

I just ordered a Murray Fail safe thermostat yesterday. It didn't say on-line where it was made on , but when I get it, I'll let you know.

Cucvnut

I just ordered a Murray Fail safe thermostat yesterday. It didn't say on-line where it was made on , but when I get it, I'll let you know.
Looks like Murray is a Motorad which is owned by Fishman Thermo Technologies Ltd.

Which is R&D and made in Israel.

acesneights1

You should use ONLY gm factory Thermostats. The aftermarket ones don't block the bypass off properly and allow coolant to bypass the radiator. I have heard of people saying Robert Shaws work as well but I ONLY use GM ones.

Nickaru

Well, I received the Motorad thermostat I ordered, made in Israel.

Better than china! I have a Desert Eagle made in Israel and that's a fine firearm.

Nickaru

Asmoday, I went to O'reilly Auto this evening to get a thermostat gasket for that new thermostat I received the day before and the guy thought I said thermostat and brought one out for the truck. I corrected him and told him the gasket is what I needed. As he went back to get the gasket, I checked the Murray thermostat he brought out and it was made in the USA!

There is hope.

Bill W

I gave up on aftermarket stats years ago
When I changed out my stat on my Ford diesel ( 5 years ago ) I compared the factory stat to the napa one I bought to replace it and tossed the napa and went to the dealer for the motorcraft stat
If nothing else its the only part I will always go to the dealer for.

45FMJoe

I gave up on aftermarket stats years ago
When I changed out my stat on my Ford diesel ( 5 years ago ) I compared the factory stat to the napa one I bought to replace it and tossed the napa and went to the dealer for the motorcraft stat
If nothing else its the only part I will always go to the dealer for.
The Murray "heavy duty" thermostat I got at O'Reilly for my '04 Crown Vic P71 weighed about half that of the factory Motorcraft unit. It felt like a cheap POS in comparison.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks