• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant vs antifreeze, or is the difference out?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Last time two years ago I simply drained (no flushing or cleaning) the engine and radiator and refilled our multifuel with Eurol Coolant -36 XL, suitable for heavy duty trucks. Now I need to top up with about 5 liter (somewhere I have a leak) but cannot get this stuff here in the Czech Republic.

Most of what I can easily get here is called antivreeze, coolant or coolant concentrate, the names often used for one and the same! All claim to have protective additives etc. I cannot find a product what I can clearly identify as ready do not mix with water universal coolant; all allow mixing with destilled water. If using the heavy duty version (here for tractor use) is there still a big difference between those products or what to use?????

Fridex 48 probably for modern person cars

Friddex stabil used here for older cars and tractors etc, maybe my best bet if I cannot find something better.

Last edited:

Dukeman

Better some coolant then no coolant. I'm sure its been getting cold in the Czech Republic for a long time and they have been putting coolant / anti-freeze in trucks and tractors there, so use what you can find. Mix with distilled water. You may want to look for the DCA additive.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
That was my original plan, but reading on SS about problems with modern stuff in old engines, I got a bit worried. Today I had to be in the nearest bigger town, and asked at a Renault truck maintenance station. They had some stuff, and in the end I called the Dutch company to check if it is compatible with their stuff and with old slow diesel or multifuel engines. It is, so I bought 1 1/2 gallon of the stuff. Set m back $ 35. Ouch. And that was getting it cheap compared with the local Wallmart.

Whatever, tomorrow I will get it topped up and do some checking, as of this weekend winter will start here with temps around zero (34 F?)

Tlauden

I was told never use the pink.... "environmentally friendly" stuff. Apperently it gums stuff up real fast. I always use the green in all my vehicles. My buddy who is a heavy truck mecbanic said modern heavy duty coolant in the deuce shouldnt hurt, i plan on flushing the system real good before winter gets here.

On a side note i never knew there was a difference between coolant and antifreeze?? Whats the difference if i may ask??

markmontana

Very Important- 5 ton trucks (Cummins) need to have SCA additive (silicate) in the coolant. If you want more info- go read about it on the Cummins site. But the reasons for it are valid- that's all that matters.

A good example here in the US is PEAK Fleet Charge.

Antifreeze/Coolant Peak HD FLEET - Engine Coolant / Anti-Freeze | O'Reilly Auto Parts

You can test the SCA level with a test strip. I get mine from Fleet Pride.