• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cooling issues

1009er

my 1009 is having issues with cooling. a little background. within the past year it has a new heater core, radiator, all new hoses and a good couple flushes. had an issue the other day when I got home the low coolant light and just come on. I shut the truck off it sounded like the coolant was boiling. opened the hood and it was bubbling but not hot like something was under pressure and blowing the air back to it. checked things out. had plenty of coolant, had pressure still in the top radiator hose, and nothing was really leaking. assumed it was the thermostat. changed it out and still does the same thing. tonight when I get home I will pull the thermostat out and try it without it in there. I feel like the water pump is working because its building pressure. Anyone have any other ideas to check out???? I've talked to a few guys and checked online but nothing seems to be what I have going on. one guy said he had an issue like this and all of his ports in the block were clogged. I feel like I would have a clog somewhere else since it just started suddenly. I've been doing a bunch of work to the truck lately and feel like I would hear a little bubbling if that were the case and it would happen over time. I'm lost if taking the thermostat out doesn't work....

3jumpjeep

my 1009 is having issues with cooling. a little background. within the past year it has a new heater core, radiator, all new hoses and a good couple flushes. had an issue the other day when I got home the low coolant light and just come on. I shut the truck off it sounded like the coolant was boiling. opened the hood and it was bubbling but not hot like something was under pressure and blowing the air back to it. checked things out. had plenty of coolant, had pressure still in the top radiator hose, and nothing was really leaking. assumed it was the thermostat. changed it out and still does the same thing. tonight when I get home I will pull the thermostat out and try it without it in there. I feel like the water pump is working because its building pressure. Anyone have any other ideas to check out???? I've talked to a few guys and checked online but nothing seems to be what I have going on. one guy said he had an issue like this and all of his ports in the block were clogged. I feel like I would have a clog somewhere else since it just started suddenly. I've been doing a bunch of work to the truck lately and feel like I would hear a little bubbling if that were the case and it would happen over time. I'm lost if taking the thermostat out doesn't work....
Boiling coolant makes pressure. The pump moves the coolant through the radiator so it doesn't boil. I'm thinking pump isn't moving enough coolant. How's the fan clutch? I had to replace mine a couple years ago.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1009er

Boiling coolant makes pressure. The pump moves the coolant through the radiator so it doesn't boil. I'm thinking pump isn't moving enough coolant. How's the fan clutch? I had to replace mine a couple years ago.
reading back through I forgot an important part. when I started it back up after installing the thermostat it was bubbling instantly as soon as I went from the cab to the engine bay

Bighorn

reading back through I forgot an important part. when I started it back up after installing the thermostat it was bubbling instantly as soon as I went from the cab to the engine bay
I hate to say this but if you are getting bubbles from a cold engine, you may have a head gasket leak.
Let it cool completely and pop the radiator cap.
Start it up and observe the opening of the radiator.
A lot of air coming out meaning combustion gasses are getting past the head gasket (or someplace else but most likely the gasket) into the water jacket and finding their way up and out the radiator cap.
It can do this and not lose water.
You could find the problem with a leak down test.
It involves putting compressed air into the cylinders one at a time, while each is at top dead center in turn, and observing leakage.
It is actually a tricky thing to do and you can hurt yourself if you've never down one.
Adding compressed air to a cylinder that is not exactly at TDC pushes the piston down violently and fingers or clothing can get caught in belts etc.
Compression test is safer but might not show the leak as distinctively.
On these engines you use the glow plug holes to fit a compression tester or an air source in the case of leak down testing.
There are also test kits that look for leaking exhaust gasses in the coolant chemically.

Last edited:

Drock

Sorry but it's a head gasket:shrugs:. It will slowly get worse, pushing brown, contaminated, coolant out into the recovery tank. I drove my M1028 for a year until it couldn't take it any more. I got really good at taking the recovery tank off and refiling the radiator every morning.:roll:

dmetalmiki

As mentioned above. Compression gasses are escaping in to the cooling system. If they get bad enough (and you should already observe) The hoses 'swelling up' when the engine runs. Some "sealers2 purport to 'fix' any leak anywhere. But surely just a stop gap. Let us know when you carry out the remedial work on the problem and it's fix, With pictures if possible..

TGP (IL)

Yup.
As they said.
Heads need to come off, get checked and new gaskets.
Tom

cucvrus

1009er

sorry for the delay. ive been out of town. last night I finally had time to take the thermostat out and run it. the thermostat was a bad one out of the box. I do have flow back to the engine now but it is still bubbling. after more research I'm pretty sure it is the HG. This oughtta be fun! I know the basics of it but I've never done one. any pro tips? I don't know when I'll get time to do it but when I do I'll do a full write up with pictures.

Bighorn

Buy a pack of razor blades.
Solo cups and baggies and a sharpie pen.
Label everything you remove.
Torque wrench.
Set of head bolts.
Head gaskets.
Timing cover gaskets/top end kit.
Contact a local machine shop and let them know you need your heads checked out.
Don't skip that step.
Have them check those heads for; flatness, cracks, Valve seat issues.
It will be fun.
Personally, I think the reward is doing it yourself.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the best parts you can afford.
It does make a difference and that’s a job you don’t want to do twice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks