• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooling issues

Dpas1973

You should see the clutch go in and out as you do this just like with the air tests.
If the line going to the clutch goes limp then everything from the battery to the valve is working. as when the valve drops the pressure to the clutch it engages.
If the PS is working you definitely have enough pressure available and you say you have replaced the valve more than once.
At this point I would drop a gauge in that line to see how much pressure it has to release the clutch but you have replaced the valve more than once and that regulates how much pressure to put on the clutch.
Did you buy OEM valves or aftermarket? have you tried the original valve again?
You are right this is a strange issue.
I’m going to have to get a gauge. This is the 3rd Cadillac valve including the one that came with the truck all the same problem 24volts to valve when truck on hear the hissing and fan still engaged 24/7 but fan not stuck because it free wheels when I use my compressor. As soon as I pull the time delay connector hissing stops and not 24 to valve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you positive it is not disengaging? it will spin all the time disengaged or not.
If it is engaged all the time is should roar at higher RPM

Dpas1973

Are you positive it is not disengaging? it will spin all the time disengaged or not.
If it is engaged all the time is should roar at higher RPM
I wonder if that’s also why I have only been getting about 7mpg since I got the truck

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will not always be detectable at idle, run it at high rpm when testing it

Dpas1973

It will not always be detectable at idle, run it at high rpm when testing it
I locked the throttle lock at 1500 rpm and nothing no change in sound. That’s also why the truck has never warmed up over 185 degrees even on 90 days in summer with red dot ac going. Not the gauge I have brand new speed hut gauges. The ir gun is on the money with what the gauge says

papakb

Too bad your back in Jersey, I grew up there and would love to visit, only not right now! Morristown, Madison, Florham Park.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you verified that the hoses between the cadillac valve and the fan clutch are clear? The next logical thing that could be the issue would be failed/blocked lines.

I suppose I should ask where you are disconnecting the lines to use air to cycle the fan clutch during testing. If it's right at the cadillac valve that kind of says the lines are good, which would just leave the fitting itself into the valve (or this valve is having an issue and everything else has been resolved)

I think you can unplug the cadillac valve to disable it, then disconnect the line and use air to operate the fan clutch to see what happens when it's running and you know there is pressure going to it, to see if that makes a difference.

Dpas1973

Have you verified that the hoses between the cadillac valve and the fan clutch are clear? The next logical thing that could be the issue would be failed/blocked lines.

I suppose I should ask where you are disconnecting the lines to use air to cycle the fan clutch during testing. If it's right at the cadillac valve that kind of says the lines are good, which would just leave the fitting itself into the valve (or this valve is having an issue and everything else has been resolved)

I think you can unplug the cadillac valve to disable it, then disconnect the line and use air to operate the fan clutch to see what happens when it's running and you know there is pressure going to it, to see if that makes a difference.
I replaced the line from the valve to shrowd that’s where I was hooking up my compressor

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing you can do since you KNOW the compressor disengages the clutch.
Plug the fitting in the valve that goes to the clutch, run the engine and use air pressure on the clutch, if it free wheels when not running but will not disengage when running there is something wrong with the clutch that prevents it from disengaging when turning...

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a tractor that if you put it in gear and then started it the clutch worked OK, but once it was running if you released the clutch pedal in neutral you could not get it back into gear without shutting down the engine.
Turned out a piece of the disc friction facing sheared off and it would be pushed out by centrifugal force while the engine was running causing the clutch to "seize"

Dpas1973

I had a tractor that if you put it in gear and then started it the clutch worked OK, but once it was running if you released the clutch pedal in neutral you could not get it back into gear without shutting down the engine.
Turned out a piece of the disc friction facing sheared off and it would be pushed out by centrifugal force while the engine was running causing the clutch to "seize"
I’m gonna try your idea no one has ever suggested that. I’ll unplug the valve and start the truck and see if it free wheels using compressor

Dpas1973

Even when the valve is unplugged it still drips ps fluid out of the fan hose

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It helps if the bolt (3/8) is long enough to have an area without threads.

Dpas1973

Put a pipe plug in it, or put a bolt and clamp on a short piece of hose.
Ok I just did what you told me. The fan clutch only disengages with 120psi air from my compressor nothing less. The TM says it should disengage with 90psi from the Cadillac valve l. I’m assuming bad or sticking fan clutch? If so anything I can do besides replacing it?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is enough work that you may as well just replace it, it could have been defective from the git-go and the fan always ran.

Dpas1973

It is enough work that you may as well just replace it, it could have been defective from the git-go and the fan always ran.
I’m sure it has been engaged since I got the truck 2.5 years ago. I bet that’s why I only get 7mpg also and other people talk about getting 10-12