• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooling system upgrades

TexF18

I upgraded the cooling fan

kit got temps down to 190-210. Question is should I also add on the paradox cooling kit.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Respectfully…

1-Military cooling upgrade kit requires pixie dust and Elvin magic. AMG woulda done it if it worked.

2-Unless your hydraulic system is missing or busted, nothing is wrong with the HMMWV cooling system as-is. That viscous system posted is only 80% maximal. Cannot lock up. It will work somewhat BUT it is not efficient. And that part about losing horsepower is bullcrap. You lose horsepower with either system!

Both topics have been discussed on this forum multiple times.

Caviat Emptor

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. And it is inferior to the HMMWV system. I own several HMMWV and I own my 1995 Hummer. I can say by experience that my HMMWV A0 through ECV REV A are universally superior. Temps when the fan is activated get lower in a flash. I can also use a switch to bypass the Cadillac valve to activate the unit at will. And military units run at 100% when locked up.

Happy Fathers’ Day.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What’s important to know about the viscous clutch is fording. With that clutch, if the engine is red hot after a highway run, fan fully engaged, and you enter deep water, all the blades will break off the fan, and puncture the radiator. This obviously is a show stopper to Uncle but maybe not you.

Hummer Guy

I upgraded the cooling fan

kit got temps down to 190-210. Question is should I also add on the paradox cooling kit.

Yea I have this same fan, for me it's much better than the original cadillac valve setup, especially going uphill. I know people say these engines can run hot, but these 6.5s are not no cummins or duramax, the 6.5s are well known for a high failure rate of overheating and crack blocks. I also feel a bit more comfortable with my engine staying in a more optimal temp range, instead constantly heating up to 230 and cooling back down to 180 every few minutes or so. As for the paradox cooling kit, I don't think its 100% necessary, I have it, but I never tested it or seen anyone else test it to actually see if it cools the rear cylinders better or possibly even create more hotspots in the engine.

In my opinion, just the fact of not having to worry about the fan leaking makes it worth it.

What’s important to know about the viscous clutch is fording. With that clutch, if the engine is red hot after a highway run, fan fully engaged, and you enter deep water, all the blades will break off the fan, and puncture the radiator. This obviously is a show stopper to Uncle but maybe not you.
It should still be able to ford water just like any other MV with a mechanical fan clutch system. Most likely if you ford water with your engine red hot, you'll probably risk damaging the block by such a hard temperature change. Most people break their blades by slamming their truck in the water at a high speed instead of slowly going in

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks