• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Copper fuel return line

randygk

I need to replace the copper fuel return line on a deuce. This is the line that runs from the inj pump flex hose to the fuel tank. It's on the driver side inside of frame crossing near transfer case to fuel tank. Can I use refrigerant soft copper tubing for this? I found a part number for the tubing of 305087-0116, whatever that is? Also the flares seem to be a 45 degree double flare. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The return line should be runing from the secondary fuel filter. There it should be a T fitting that puts it back into the secondary or returns to the tank. Inverted flair at the tank end is the question. If it was not for that I would run Synflex palastic. Do you think you could just use a union and splice the bad out. Your question yes the soft copper should be the same OD but once again it's the tank end you have to deal with. Splice would be the quickest.

Last edited:

randygk

There was a "factory" splice (union) at the transfer case. It shows this on the parts list. I've got to replace the entire section and the tank and union ends are all flares. Assuming flex hose end is the same. I meant to say running "from near the fuel pump", so sure line is going to filter -just didn't open the hood. I'm concerned about vibration or other factors about grades of copper.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Copper tubing is "original". It is also expensive and less robust, compared to practically all modern synthetic fuel line options. I would investigate how I could connect a synthetic line instead.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used DOT plastic air brake line for fuel line. Its fuel proof, and imune to vibration. If you can use the compression type fittings on the plastic, and then go to 1/4" NPT, you will be in business. The copper is probably 3/8" OD, so if you use the same size plastic, you could stay with the compression fittings.

scooter01922

Ditto on the DOT air brake line, was the only thing i could find around here that holds up to the odd variety of stuff i may dump in the tank. Currently only running the pieces from secondary to IP and return to filters but i see no reason why it wouldn't work for the whole run. Not particularly expensive and does come in a bunch of colors too (if you are so inclined) Toss a couple pieces and some fittings in the toolbox and with only a wrench and a pocket knife you can repair any leak that may heppen to show up. Slightly harder to do the same with the copper.

eagle4g63

For the return line at the tank, why not change the fitting on the top of the tank........use whatever fitting you need for what ever line you want to run.......I'm planning on running AN lines on most of my fuel system, the tank threads are common pipe threads, you can get any brass fitting you want from a pluming supply or a Menards or _________(fill in your big box hardware store).

welldigger

I'm voting air brake line also. That stuff is amazingly tough, heat resistant, fuel resistant, doesn't seem to dry rot.....you get the point. I just finished re-doing the return lines on my injectors and returns from the IP to the secondary fuel filters with the stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks