• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct antenna for an M35

tbanks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
antenna

The antenna needed is going to depend on the radio you decide to use and what era you are showing your truck.The MX6707 is part of the AS1729 antenna set used in conjunction with the VRC12 series radios in service with US and allied countries from Vietnam through Desert storm.From what Ive been told there are still a few guard units using it.The AS3900 is used with the SINCGARS series that came in in the late 80s and is still in operation as of now pending deployment of a new system.
My first question is are you actually going to be using the antenna or is it for looks?
Secondly what radio are you using?
Third what era are you trying to represent with your truck?
The AS3900 can be used with the older VRC12 series radios but isnt as good as the MX6707 as far as performance.The 3900 is cheaper due to the number coming out via surplus dealers.The 6707 has been out of use for a number of years and is a little harder to find.
We stock both systems in used and NOS sets.If you need anymore info let me know.Tony

Flyingvan911

The 6707 is is just the base. I believe the antenna number is as-1729. There are several that are correct depending on the time period you are shooting for.

tbanks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
antenna

To be correct the MX6707 is the matcing unit, or the base as is commonly referred to.The lower antenna element is AS-1730/VRC and the upper element is the AT1095/VRC all of theese parts compose the AS1729VRC antenna system.

JH1

I agree that the MX-6707 is the correct antenna base. On the deuce, the MX-6707 mounts on a 'sugar scoop', which in turn, mounts on a spacer plate to the passenger side of the bed, on the outside, near the front. While correct, it's going to hit every low tree from here to Tim Buk Tu that's along side the road. I mounted mine on the driver's side and tell people in a hushed voice that that's where it's supposed to be. Our little secret. Shhhh.....:whistle:

Btw, the spacer is so that the 'sugar scoop' mount doesn't place the MX-6707 too close to the bed. The top side rail of the bed would hit the antenna. It has to space the scoop outward a couple of inches.

Jim

M813A1

If you want to use a CB in your truck the MX-6707 can be used but a better base would be the AB-15 , AB-652 , AB-558 and the MS-116, MS-117, MS-118 antenna sections setup with an overall hieght of 106" to 110 " to include the base and it will give you a good SWR reading and do well with a CB radio !!

Last edited:

tbanks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
antenna

Tha AB15 base was used from WWII till 80s and may still be on some vehicles in its newer form known as AB558.The AB15 is a porcelin ceramic base and the AB558 is a fiberglass or hard plastic base.The AB558 uses the same footprint as the AS3900 and AS1729 systems and will bolt on the sugar scoop mounts.The AB15 would require a spacer ring to fit.

tbanks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
antenna

In use with the VRC12 series it was used mainly in a receive only capacity but the AB15 goes back to WWII where it was used with transmit and receive.