• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

correct Bilstein shock size for m1009

CR99

just bought a set of bilsteins for an 84 m1009 and the rear shocks fit but the front ones were about 3inchs short?? Does anyone have the correct sizes for this vehicle or am I missing something/part? The guy at ORW said he double checked that they were the right size....thought I would try here first for help!

CCATLETT1984

did he pull them for a diesel blazer?

I know that the front shocks on my truck are short compared to the rears.
Do your front springs have a negative arc? (meaning the center is the highest point of the spring) If not then you have a mild lift on your truck.

CR99

probelm solved, guy at the shop gave me the wrong front shocks. in case you want to know, the part number for a bilstein front shock for an 84 m1009 is B460923H0. the front shocks should be the same size as the rears...FYI

JohnFire

what is the difference between the brands ie. rancho, rough country, tough country, skyjacker, bilstein etc. I am looking at doing shocks as well since like most of us they are over 20 years old. that are on the truck. How much of a difference will they make since our suspension springs are the same age. I have also looked at putting adjustable air springs on the rear by air lift. But I don't think I tow enough to spend the extra money on those. I would love to hear some opinions.

CR99

its kinds of hard to tell since the old ones are still on the front. BUT, the rear does seem to only bounce once going over dirt roads, vs 800 times on the fronts. Cant wait to get the full set on, I will report back once complete. Also, what other fairly easy suspension upgrades can be made to improve the ride? I am in Costa Rica so parts are hard to come by but she is bouncing all over the place bc the roads are so bad here.

AJMBLAZER

Better set of leaf springs with new poly bushings would make it light years better. Tuff Country makes some great springs.

Also a steering box brace and the Jeep XJ steering shaft swap would radically improve the steering feel. Not to mention the brace would stop the frame cracking these are known for.

CR99

what is the cost and ease of replacing the springs? thanks for the tips, I will keep an eye on all the sites for more suspension info.

AJMBLAZER

Cost...a simple lift with all the proper trimmings in the 2-4" range can cost you from $300-700 depending on how high, what brand, and if you go with rear blocks, leaves, or a shackle flip.

Hard to do? Not compared to other vehicles but you will need a full complement of tools and a good set of four jackstands and a good jack. Air tools REALLY help.

CR99

thanks! I would like to replace the rear and front springs and bushings...are these parts standard for the civvy model or is there any special issues since its a CUCV? Can I get them from autozone or Napa?

CCATLETT1984

you cant get them from the local parts store. but they are the same springs put in all the 3/4ton diesel blazers (they are not cucv specific)

I'm sure that there must be a spring shop somewhere near you. They should be able to build you a set of springs. If not you can order the springs and have them shipped, although shipping on springs is going to suck.