• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct bumper markings for 7th Army Ordnance Battalion?

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am restoring a Deuce and would like to dedicate the markings to my Dad. He served in the 7th Army, 9th Ordnance Battalion, 57th Ordinance Group, Company B. This was the group that had the nuclear artillery (i.e., Atomic Annie and the like).

I believe the bumper number would be something like this:
7A 9/57 B-1

I plan to drive it to his Army Reunion this October for him and his friends. I really would like to get this right, and thought I would post here to verify. Not sure if the Ordinance Battalion/group had a special symbol or initials (i.e., ORD, O, or we have nuclear ordinance get the heck out of the way. :driver: )

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

Chief_919

There are serval ways it could be done. The most likely would be:

7A
9/57 OD B-XX

XX is the indivdiual trcuk number. Once again these vary, but 6 is almost always the commander, 7 the 1SG, 5 ops, and usually platoons were Broken down like 1X for 1st platoon, 2x for second platoon, etc.

So B-27 would be the platoon sergeant for 2nd platoon.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They were actually activated in 1952 through 1959. I have the Department of the Army record of them that a friend of his sent him dated 1961 describing the history of their company.

I tried to post it but the PDF is just over the limit of the site. It is a very dry read noting where and when. I imagine Wikipedia comes with picture if I hit that link. :)

Well off to title the truck. I will see what is involved in FMV registration and what they will allow on the bumper but hopefully I can put it exactly as noted above.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Titled the truck today. I need to paint the numbers on the bumpers and take a picture of it. Then return when I get my title in 2-3 weeks, so I can register it as a Former Military Vehicle.

They didn't seem to have an issue with the above numbering format. They said they would just omit the dashes, etc. A little concerned they will take issue with anything over 7 digits long, but unsure since it also requires the truck have full military markings.

Last edited:

doinworkinvans

well with it being the 50s this is how I would do it according to "US Army Vehicle Markings 1945-1954" from the War Dept.

7A-9/57-O-B-XX (reading from back to front, vehicle number, Company B, 9th Battalion,57th Ordinance Group, 7th Army) All dashes should be 1/2 inch.

doinworkinvans

and also with it being on a duece you can split it up and the B-XX (vehicle number) can go on the other side of the bumper with a star in the middle

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and also with it being on a deuce you can split it up and the B-XX (vehicle number) can go on the other side of the bumper with a star in the middle

I may have to change the format for the driver side bumper per Texas FMV laws:

Applicants may use the serial number as assigned to the vehicle by the armed forces as the license plate number. These characters must be a minimum of two inches in height, and applied to the vehicle in a design and location that conforms to the vehicle's official military design and markings. Use the last six characters of the serial number as the license plate number. Registrants that use the approved stenciled number and/or letters will be issued a registration sticker. The owner must carry this registration sticker in, not attached to the vehicle.
I am a little concerned that they will want the serial number of the truck (the one stamped on the frame and use in my title paperwork) to be on the bumper. I figure I will try it the way I want and if they don't accept it, I will just change it and return.

I know they also offer a FMV plate to put on the vehicle instead of painted numbers. This may be what they are referencing in the above paragraph. Again, worse case I will have to repaint if they don't like the true military format on the from bumper. Not a big deal other then not getting the true dedication/look on the front.

doinworkinvans

Man thats pretty crazy the law they have for that. I've always heard TX is tough on stuff like that. But with you doing the actual markings for the vehicle I wouldn't think they'd care. I would think you could get a regular plate. Anyways hope it works good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks