• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

correct GPS for HMMWV ?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got my DAGR in today and boy am I confused about how to use it. It would appear that lots has changed since I took land nav class.

Wile E. Coyote

Actually none of that family does P code - AN/PSN-10 SLGR included - except for the Trimble Centurion aka AN/ASN-169 SAGR range. There's no interface in the non-Centurion models for the input of cryptovariables at all, which is why they had to turn off Selective Availability for Desert Storm, because the only ground/ vehicle based sets in inventory in tiny and outrageously expensive numbers capable of P code decryption were the AN/PSN-8 and AN/PSN-9. Even the army got a little confused within itself over the issue too, as there are some pubs and pams floating around out there which call SLGR an L1/L2 machine (it only does L1) and go on at length about the anti-spoofing necessity of military P code (which SLGR can't decode.) :-D

And yes, now that Selective Availability is turned off, the position accuracy of the military sets will be the same as civilian sets of equivalent overall quality under normal (i.e. non-jamming environment) conditions. The P code (need cryptovariables to decode) functionality is just there now for Anti-Spoofing (and in case Selective Availability is ever turned back on in some unspecified emergency), so that a sophisticated enemy can't transmit a false GPS signal which would result in a false position.

Wile E. Coyote

DAGR's menu navigation system etc. is horrible, but you get used to it. It has a built in compass that you have to calibrate like the one on some of the Garmins, but it's only broadly useful, IMO. If you've never used one before you'll probably get a bit frustrated with it losing position and shutting itself off right out of the box - but dive into those menus and select 'CONTINUOUS' for mode of operation and turn all the power-save/ auto-off stuff off. Manuals available on the web if you don't have one.

Wile E. Coyote

Thank you!!!!! Got it.
No problem. Sometimes those mounts need a little MIG welding or brazing as the weight of the SLGR in the bracket bumping and banging around on a dashboard etc. tends to cause cracks in the metalwork. I've seen two (including my own) cracked in exactly the same place.

ohiohmmwv

I guess my next question will be what is the matching antenna and cable attachments and mount for outside the hmmwv. There's probably a power cable too? So you can go no batteries? Why is there three plugs on the side? Antenna, power and data link?

Wile E. Coyote

I guess my next question will be what is the matching antenna and cable attachments and mount for outside the hmmwv. There's probably a power cable too? So you can go no batteries? Why is there three plugs on the side? Antenna, power and data link?
Antenna used is a special, square, hard-to-find one - and yes, one of those plugs on the side is for the antenna cable. The other two plugs are for Power and Data. Brooke has the pinout for the power connector if you want to make your own power cord using a connector from any surplus military handset/ headset from the older VRC-12 series radios on his Trimpack page here, about midway down: http://www.prc68.com/I/Trimpack.shtml#Pwr

There's also a cigarette lighter adapter unit that plugs on the back in place of the battery box, but they're all black - and they have limited use in a military vehicle unless you have a CUCV with a cigarette lighter fitted. Occasionally the power cables show up on Ebay but nothing like regularly. Brooke also has the 17572-00 antenna shown on that page, which is the one you're looking for. The cable's fun too, as it has the SMA-type miniature connector at the GPS end, and I think a type N connector at the antenna end. I've only ever seen the one I have and a couple people have installed in M1009 CUCV Blazers or HMMWVs. Other antennas like the ones for PLGR and DAGR and civvy GPS units will not work, even though the GPS end of the antenna cable will physically screw on to the side of the Trimpack/ SLGR.

Wile E. Coyote

I've never seen a military TM for the Trimpack, as they seem to have been issued with Trimble-produced commercial manuals in a couple of different formats with 1990 rev. dates. I have two of them. The most common one is the same one shown here on Mike Murphy's website, which is all user-manual type stuff and contains a quick-ref card in the back:

http://www.murphyjunk.net//wp-content/uploads/2013/05/PAK2.jpg

And the second is an 8-1/2" x 11" spiral-bound type called "Trimpack Specification, Installation and Reference Manual" which goes into more depth and has block diagrams and accessory connector pinouts and line diagrams of accessories and mounts and power cables and such, and runs to what's probably 70 pages. I've only ever seen one other of these ones and that was in a batch of five or six of them that some vendor was selling as a single lot on Ebay.

Wile E. Coyote

That's a TB which could be anything - and seems to apply solely to the UH-60 Blackhawk. But if you have a Kindle, .89 doesn't seem like a bad investment. I tried just now to find a copy for free somewhere but...no dice.

Wile E. Coyote

Lol...wrote a response and the system deleted it when I tried to edit. Weird.

Anyway, the LOGSA site has those manuals for free. It's not going to let me put up the link, but when you get to the LOGSA main page, select 'Publications' and then 'ETMs Online", and in the 'Title' search box put 'Trimble' without the quotes. A bunch of stuff available for download there.

(Google "LOGSA" or "ETMs Online" if you've never heard of LOGSA.)

Wile E. Coyote

Yeah they're all installation instructions for various helicopters, but no user info at all. If you have a Blackhawk or a Kiowa in desperate need of a vintage GPS...there's your kitlist and installation procedures. Some cool line diagrams of helicopters in those things though. Nothing else comes up in a search of their database using all the keywords I could think of, but a lot of that stuff got expunged or published as EMs on CD.

EwaMarine

"PLGR, SLGR and DAGR are also really fun if you have a computer, as you can hook up your laptop serial port to the military GPS, and the GPS will transmit NMEA 0183 data to the laptop, which can be utilized by Google Earth and various other mapping programs to show your location and/or map your progress as you drive. I had mine rigged up to a surplus Panasonic Toughbook and later to a touchscreen computer I made up on a HMMWV FBCB2 rack to simulate FBCB2. Looked pretty cool."

Wile E Coyote:
Exactly HOW should I rig up a tough book to do what you just mentioned here. Im not a computer savy Marine...Ive got a PLGR, aand the mount in our HMMWV is the standard vanilla rack...
10518693_827931610564920_5822401573739924477_n.jpg Wanted to rig a panasonic tough book to the PLGR to have it do exactly what you talked about. Can you list the parts/components /cables I need to do this? I assume a RAMS mount or similar would need to be used. If you look in the pic you can see there is still alot of room left on the right side of the rack....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks