• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct TM for non zipper boot replacement please

Dukeman

Just did the axle seal on the 931 and while we had it disassembled that far figured we would go ahead with a non-zipper boot replacement. Got the four nuts off the top of the king pin plate but could not get the plate off so the housing could be removed. I have searched TM 2320 272 24 1 chapter 3 section VII but it only shows how to install a zippered boot. I beat on those plates pretty hard with no movement at all. Did I do something wrong? Where is the TM for that?

Thanks!

F18hornetM

Do you have the wedge collars out? [can't remember what the TM calls them] They would be right under the nuts you took off. I usually whack the side good and that will loosen them up, then use a small chisel in the slot to spread slightly. I just did both sides of M813.
If you do have the collars out, there is a threaded place for [2] 3/8" fine thread bolts to push the plate off on top.

Last edited:

Dukeman

I did get the nuts off no problem and yes there did seem to be some type of collar between the bolts and the plate. I whacked at those plates for a while then decided I didn't want to damage anything. Let me look at the TM link.

Dukeman

Hmmm, yeah, okay it appears to be the same set up. So do the bushings keep the steering arm from lifting up over the bolts? How do they come out, I couldn't get anything to budge.

F18hornetM

I hit them from the side, or the edge of the steering plate. Spray some PB blaster or something on them if rusty. They will loosen, then a small chisel in the slot and they will spread and slip right off stud. OTC makes special pliers for them but a small chisel works very well.
Crasheej is right just like the ones on rear axle flanges.