• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct trailer for a M1009

cfish

A cousin of mine years ago had an older version with snorkel. I grew up on the edge of the everglades and he use to all but submerge that thing. It would crawl up a wall and it survived several years of playing in the glades. And if anyone who has spent anytime in the glades south of the trail knows it is one of the most inhospitable places in N. America.
Tankie88, that MOD website/outfit are they reputable? I really want one of those off their site. I wonder how hard it would be to get get it license in the states.

67_C-30

No problem! MOD Sales is one of the websites I go to fantasize:) I would LOVE a EX-MOD Defender 90 w/Sankey trailer...
Is this an old Range Rover? I found this in a junk yard that is probably going to be crushed out pretty soon. Would this be worth saving?

EDIT: I didn't get a great look at it. I was on my way out and I had somewhere to be, and I snapped the pic from M1009 with my phone. I'm going back when I can spend more time to look around.

Attachments

67_C-30

YES, looks like a Series IIA 88", and YES she needs rescue!!

(this thread has totally gone askew, and I am partially to blame, SORRY)

Me too!:-( ;) I just swa the one you posted and though "HEY! That kinda looks like that thing I saw the other day!" ;) They also had a M35, and old gasser Duece, an old military Jeep, a M105 trailer, a M37 and M37 ambulance. I'm going to get more info and pics when I go back and I'll pass along contact info, etc...

BACK ON TOPIC! I won a M101A2 on GL to pull with my M1009 last week!;)

Attachments

tankie88

cfish,Withams is good reliable company here in the UK.You get none of this forklifting probs like with GL in the states.I shouldn't think you'd have probs registering in the States.A trailer is a trailer.I don't know if they ship,E-mail them and find out.As for land rovers like the series 2 in the pic they are prone to chassis out rigger rot and rear cross member rot.Does a trailer need it's own plate in the states???? Over here the trailer just uses the plate from the towing vehicle(in civi street) Of course in the Military a trailer has it's own plate.

Last edited:

Pawnshop

Yes, in some states (including Texas) a trailer must have it's own plate, registration cost is figured by GVW of the trailer. It cost me $47 to register my M101A2 for one year, based on the GVW stated on the data plate (which shows the off road capacity of 1500lb). Texas requires ALL trailers to be plated, regardless of GVW, some states have different regulations. Check with your local tax office for more information...

paramilusmc

This is my M1009 with a 700lb CDN M101 1/4 ton trailer. With a rating of 1200lbs hauling this still allows me the ability to two 500lbs in the trailer.

The US Militaries M101 weighs 1340lbs, which is already 140lbs over what the M1009 is rated for. Ya you can pack more into it, but your most likely going to damage your vehicle by doing so.

Attachments

epartsman

I have been pulling around an m116a3 modified with an m105 body with civy Econoline 8 lug aluminum wheels behind my Suburban for years without a problem. I traded it for repair work on my boat which I regret. I bought an M101a3 a few months ago and towed it with the burb with no problem. The Burb was moded with a pintle and a 12 pin connector using civy jeep lights on the trailer and the back up light which was great for parking at night. I just bought an M1009 and everyone is talking about towed load capacity which I agree is underated for field use. My 09 will have a class 3 frame hitch and all the stuff off the burb I just sold (pintle mount etc.) and should be just fine to tow the 101 even loaded. The GVW of the beast is close to 6k so towing 3-3500K should be no problem plus I have a 17ft boat that I will tow as well. I do forsee adding a tranny cooler and a bunch of other mods. DSG stud girdle on the way, got the complete a/c from a civy diesel, etc keeping it as original looking as possible (on the outside). The 09 had not been started in a year due to a bad flywheel and started on the first crank when repairs were completed. M101a2 with brakes is the way to go, best bang for the buck.

Last edited:

francisf16

I won a M101A2 on GL last week and just picked it up yesterday. My original pintle was gone so I picked up a replacement at Atwoods and bolted it up. Road tripped my M1009 from Tulsa OK to Ft. Chaffee AR to pick up the trailer. It hooked up and it towed like a dream. It would go 65mph on level highway and slowed to 60 uphill and out to about 70 downhill with no problems. The M1009 averaged 17MPG on the entire trip! I only had two problems;
1. I had a stereo installed for the trip which popped around Muskogee on the way there and the receiver said "Check wiring and reset" on the screen. Gotta check that out.
2. When I got home I noticed transmission fluid all over the belly of the M1009. I checked the fluid levels and they are all full. I don't know where that came from yet but hope it's not serious.
Wish me luck! If anyone has any ideas, please post!!
(Yes, the other M1009 in the pic is for sale)

Attachments

epartsman

Some possibilities: trans was over filled or the vent tube was clogged allowing it to build up pressure till it let go. If It was just overfilled the extra blew out and now your fluid level is fine. Are you checking the fluid with the engine running in park after warming it up for a minute? If you are not you will not be getting an accurate reading showing you have more fluid than you really do. It may also be time for an add on tranny cooler.

jets1959

I won a M101A2 on GL last week and just picked it up yesterday. My original pintle was gone so I picked up a replacement at Atwoods and bolted it up. Road tripped my M1009 from Tulsa OK to Ft. Chaffee AR to pick up the trailer. It hooked up and it towed like a dream. It would go 65mph on level highway and slowed to 60 uphill and out to about 70 downhill with no problems. The M1009 averaged 17MPG on the entire trip! I only had two problems;
1. I had a stereo installed for the trip which popped around Muskogee on the way there and the receiver said "Check wiring and reset" on the screen. Gotta check that out.
2. When I got home I noticed transmission fluid all over the belly of the M1009. I checked the fluid levels and they are all full. I don't know where that came from yet but hope it's not serious.
Wish me luck! If anyone has any ideas, please post!!
(Yes, the other M1009 in the pic is for sale)
Check the transfer case fluid level. 2cents

I have removed my 09's bumper and replaced it with the m1008's bumper. Its much beefier and in addition to bolting it on with stainless hardware I also welded it's .5" mounts directly to the frame. Between those few mods I feel more comfortable towing my 101 with a moderate load. But as a lot of guys here have done with the stock I think I might be just fine. I do however want to swap axles from the trailer from non directional to match my blazer. So I can run standard rims and ties across the board. Wouldn't mind adding either surge brakes or electric brakes to the old girl either.

Any suggestions gents?

Attachments