• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct transmission filter

DCIV

I just want to make sure I get not only the correct trans filter but also the correct gasket (unless it's rtv). My humvee is a 1985 but redone in 07. Also, dextron III compatible? Or something else? I don't mind shopping eBay if that's where you tell me to go, just always worries me it will not be the correct thing and mess things up! Oh also, did they some sort of external aftermarket filter later on? Something better or easier in the future?
Thanks in advance.

NormB

Do you have a 3 speed or 4 speed tranny?

Dexron III ATF is still available and cheap - I think - I bought a 5 gallon bucket (mfd by Miles) delivered from Jeffrey "Dr. Evil" Beelzebub's site for about $45 delivered. Basically dyed light mineral oil, later versions (Dexron 4,5,6) are backwards compatible, if I understand the wisdom of the elders imparted on this forum and many others.

Question is STILL, 3 speed (TH400) or 4 speed (4L80 or whatever)? I'm going to guess you've got a 3 speed. Mine was "updated" too in 2009, but the power pack was still 6.2LNA/TH400/218 as original.

For 3 speed, the "correct" filter is one that meets spec, and there're about two dozen manufacturers out there, you can find the things for anywhere from $7 to $30 and they're all basically the same piece of filter material with a stamped sheet metal cover/mount, many "kits" come with pan gasket too.

AC Delco TF231's are cheap enough.

For a gasket I sprang the few extra bucks for a Lube Locker Turbo 400/TH400 Transmission Gasket 'cause I really hate working with Permatex formagasket, silicone or many of the other sealants popular with mechanics and gear heads. I get a headache from the Permatex stuff, and silicone I always manage to get all over my fingers, gloves, arms, clothing. I was surprised how easily the Lube Locker went on, torqued up and several hundred hours later it's holding up well. Reusable too.

If you have a 4 speed: never mind.

DCIV

It is a 3 speed. I just don't want a crappy filter for how much work it is. That's why I was worried about buying the wrong one. If it matters I'm also 6.5L.

I don't want the cork gasket. Other than that I would love a gasket!

NormB

It is a 3 speed. I just don't want a crappy filter for how much work it is. That's why I was worried about buying the wrong one. If it matters I'm also 6.5L.
I don't want the cork gasket. Other than that I would love a gasket!
Not a fan of cork or fiber.

Go to Amazon dot com and type "TH400 filter" in the search window and hit enter.

Have fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks