• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Corroded Battery Hold-Down

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My rear battery hold-down has sever acid corrosion under the rubber coating. The metal frame seems to be OK and should clean up just fine, but in some places the white-powdery corrosion is 1/8" thick beneath the outer rubber coating. I began removing the rubber coating, however soon realized this is going to be a tough, time consuming task. If I could figure out an easy way to remove the rubber coating, I could then sandblast and paint the frame, and try to figure out how to install new rubber coating.

Anybody else had this issue?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Mike Gresham

2deuce

I would like to know what causes this because I've had it too. One battery clean the other covered in white powder. I've had it thick under the rubber coating also.

emr

You really do not know what causes corrosion in the batt areas? I am sure U do,, first scrape it off with a flat sharp gasket scraper and even a good razor knife, the wire brush navel jelly works fine, i wipe the batt areas down with this stuff let it dry do not rinse then prime with rustoleum rusty mettle primer and let sit for 2 days then rust oleum black top coat, this is good for mettle box"s too, always leave a coat of wd 40 or similar on all mettle surfaces, and baking soda , a dusting on top of batts and in the bottom of the box, will help control the electroalisis and acid vapor that corrodes, all things, just like the instructions of a batt charger say, DO NOT PUT CHARGER OVER BATT WHEN USING CORROSION OF THE UNIT WILL OCCUR.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks