• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Corrosion prevention and treatment.....

combatmech

Howdy all,
I have been doing some reading about POR15 and Rust-Oleum products. Have any of you CUCV owners used or had any luck with either of them?
Thanks!!

ralbelt

I have sprayed rustoleum rusty metal primer and sprayed sherman williams 383 carc with no ill effects. I also used the same primer on the under carriage and frame and used rustoleum black. Its been on about 14 months. I chose the rustoleum black so that I could touch up the frame if need be with a rattle can and not have to drag out the hose and spray gun which I used initally.

dependable

I have used por 15 on restoration projects in the past. I have heard it is not as good as it used to be. There is a product available at my local auto parts store called Chassis Saver. it very like and as good as the old por15. Smelly, toxic, un sandable, moisture actually speeds hardening. This stuff is great. Not uv resistant so must be top coated for exposed areas. Must be applied to clean surface, but surface rust ok. If you have some very scaly rust you don't want to deal with, you can saturate it with Rustolium, but then nothing other than oil base paint will ever stick to it. The chassis saver product hardens up chemically neuteral and can be re coated with most products. Any attempt to to paint and preserve is better than nothing.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the fram of my Deuce with POR15 and it goes on very nice and looks beautiful bear in mind it will not stand up to UV rays so it HAS to be painted ove with something, another person on this thread said to wear gloves YES YES YES wear them, it take almost a week to get this stuff off your hands and no solvent (including gasoline) would even touch it! My experience had been good with this product

KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks