• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cost of getting a good truck?

Luke

I think if I save as much as I can, in two years time I could scrape up 3500 - 4000 dollars. I keep seeing good Deuces online go for $6000+ .

I hope to get a M35a2 with a whistler turbo and winch ( cargo cover or heater would be great but I know a decked out truck will run the price up ). I want a fully functional truck that has reasonable reliability, no major leaks, no serious rusting.

I'm honestly not sure if I could find a truck like that today from a private seller. Buying from govliquidations quickly sets back my budget as I seem to need to buy many things to bring with me if I was to win a truck ( parts that may not even be needed, possible tow service etc ) I know I will need some of these things eventually anyway but I think it is easier to spend money on a truck you have than on one you are saving for.

Do you guys think it would be too difficult to find a good truck in two years for 4 thousand dollars?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, If you are having a hard time getting 4K in 2 years, you probably don't need one. They are money pits any way you look at it. They are fun though.:roll:

Pinz25086

I have to agree with the above statement. Perhaps a smaller MV would be a better choice for your first one. I think that the price of M35's will go up as the supply from GL goes down. Granted there are many for sale right now but the supply will eventually start to slow, and I feel that the deuce is under valued at this point.

Wayne

badgmc56

They are a blast to drive but when your done paying for one, it does not end there. I just put a grand into mine between a clutch setup and tranny parts. Mine was a nice truck when I got it and it has cost me plenty already!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have put about $600 into one of mine so far in the last 3 months just in stuff to keep it running, not to fix any breaks.

I'd say if you can't just walk in and put down $2-6k on a toy and start spending money after that maybe you should look at a jeep. Big MVs are no the most expensive hobby but they are in the top three for me.

Get a cheap one close by off GL and learn everything about the truck the hard way.

;-)

sw

Heavysteven

It's true, keeping a deuce reliable cost money. Only way of even getting a winch truck that cheap is through gl. I agree with the money pit idea but I enjoy working on mine.

midcounty

I agree with the above statements as well. If you don't have extra cash to throw at it, you may get in over your head. These trucks are all about 40 years old and well used, so things are going to wear. It's like any large truck, and cost more to maintain then a car or pick up truck. Do I think you can find a decent truck for 4-6k? Yes, they are out there if you shop around. I paid 4k for mine, and it has all the goodies. I have spent close to another 1k on paint, service, and minor repairs doing it all myself. I already have close to 5k in it, and there are still things I would like to do to it. The good side of it is I have seen trucks like mine selling for 6-8k, so I don't mind the investment. I also agree that the price will go up as the gooberment depleats their inventory of them. In a few years there may not be any of what you are looking for in that price range. Good luck, they are fun and a lot of truck for the money.

MO MV man

I can say without a doubt that I agree with everyone above.

The initial purchase price is but a stepping stone into Deuce ownership.
Parts are readily available and reasonable (for the most part) but OH how they add up!!!

These big boys are easy to work on, other than the weight of the parts factor.

What's up with the recent hike in asking prices for Deuces on ebay?
Are they actually selling for these prices?

The only part I don't agree with is finding something cheaper:
Military Jeeps: They're priced so ludicrous right now, it's laughable-are people really paying what ebay sellers are asking?
M37's: Awesome. But they're just one step below early Jeeps in terms of expense.
M151's: They're pricey and aren't parts a little harder to get?

zout

Luke - if you have not pursued this - you may wish to hook up with someone in your area to go check theirs out - see if they will go over some figures with you realistically so you can get a better grasp on the purchase - maintenance - pm schedule - etc.

Get a feel for it even if you flip someone $50 to help you out. Better than finding out later its not what you looked forward to. :driver:

M1075

I think if I save as much as I can, in two years time I could scrape up 3500 - 4000 dollars. I keep seeing good Deuces online go for $6000+ .

I hope to get a M35a2 with a whistler turbo and winch ( cargo cover or heater would be great but I know a decked out truck will run the price up ). I want a fully functional truck that has reasonable reliability, no major leaks, no serious rusting.

I'm honestly not sure if I could find a truck like that today from a private seller. Buying from govliquidations quickly sets back my budget as I seem to need to buy many things to bring with me if I was to win a truck ( parts that may not even be needed, possible tow service etc ) I know I will need some of these things eventually anyway but I think it is easier to spend money on a truck you have than on one you are saving for.

Do you guys think it would be too difficult to find a good truck in two years for 4 thousand dollars?
Come see me in OKC when you are ready to buy. I usually have good running deuces for $3000 - $4000.

MO MV man

Luke - if you have not pursued this - you may wish to hook up with someone in your area to go check theirs out - see if they will go over some figures with you realistically so you can get a better grasp on the purchase - maintenance - pm schedule - etc.

Get a feel for it even if you flip someone $50 to help you out. Better than finding out later its not what you looked forward to. :driver:

WELL PUT! [thumbzup]
Excellent advice.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just feeding a deuce or 5 ton gets expensive. Not to mention insurance, taxes, tags..........

TIGERFANS2

Kansas prices:
American Family insurance, liability only, < 100 bucks
property taxes = cheap (on a '71 that I paid $1210 for from GL last year)
tags = one time fee for antique plates (~ 50 bucks) then only property tax after that

fuel costs for the occasional what the heck drive, parades and battery charging (ok.... that's my excuse for starting it up to listen to the whistler :) ) ..... who cares?

JeepMan

You don't mention your age group or your family situation but yes, you see these trucks cheap on GL but you also have to take in consideration what your local zoning may allow you to do and as someone on here said, they stopped filling the fuel tank at $75.00. Also consider that $75.00/more fuel will be consumed by a vehicle getting at best, what, 7/8/9 miles to the gallon. Obviously $75.00/more is not bad if you make $1,000. a week but if you work part time/full time at a burger joint or whatever, $75.00/more is better used elsewhere. Shall we discuss tires/special (read BIG) tools to work on them.
I'll agree with some of the other postings, consider something smaller or meet up with a freind on here and slip them a tank of fuel for a ride or two or a ride-along in a parade.
Of course if your going to work it, thats different.

combat32

There are still deals out there, you can get a decent truck for 3 g's or so here in the midwest.Depending on what you do with it operational costs are not too bad, daily driver equals more, parade sometimes driver is less.I have two great running trucks and have less than 3 grand in each of them.

Do your homework, and shop around.I see lots of trucks priced at 5 grand and higher that don't sell. Send me a pm if interested, I know of a few local to me trucks you could get into for less than 4 grand.

gunboy1656

OK, time for me to chime in. As someone who bought a truck working an 8 dollar an hour job.

You can get a truck, you can afford it, you just have to plan for what might happen and what repairs will be coming up. Now having said that, if you have something break, you truck will be down for a while.

I don't drive my truck a lot, few parades and around the block once a week or so i only have to buy fuel once in a while.

If you want a deuce, just make a plan of action of how to keep it going and you should be fine. If you are mechanically inclined then most of the work you can do on your own, which saves on shop costs.

area52

I sold my deuce in the spring of this year for $3800 with winch and hardtop, no bows or rear canvas but it did have a clear NM title. I see a bunch on the classifeds here you could get for less. Figure on several hundred dollars for upkeep/repairs.

Luke

Well I am 18 living at home with the folks still, just starting college working part time making 7.75 an hour. Of course if I can find a better paying part time job I will go for it but I am not too sure I will find something soon.I think I will be in the same situation for the next 4-5 years as I am pursuing a bachelors degree. My monthly take home pay is around 500 dollars and after writing up a budget I feel I can save at least 150 dollars per month, perhaps 200 if I can eat at home more, spend less on booze, and enjoy myself less on weekends. If I was able to get a truck for this much I could keep saving the monthly 150-200 for repairs and maintenance.

I intended on doing all the work/maintenance if possible. Tool wise I only have a 260pc craftsman set, a 3/4" drive ratchet without sockets, as well as lots of miscellaneous tools like vice grips, pliers, adjustable wrenches, etc. However I like tools and add on when sears has a sale.

I want the truck as a play vehicle; something to drive on the weekends or occasionally to work or class, and pull out friends who got stuck somewhere ( time for me to return the favor ).

I will need to check into zoning rules about a three axle truck, however there is no homeowner's association. The homes in my neighborhood have ~1 acre yards and the next door neighbor parks his semi tractor on the road in front of his house or in his back yard when he is in town. There are two homes for sale on the road however, one directly across from us.

Right now I am using a recently acquired credit card to build a good score so If the deuce wont work out I think Ill try to use my 4k for a down payment and get financing on a motorcycle or dirt bike, but I would prefer something I can use year-round.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks