• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Could a M1028A3 possibly just be a M1008?..?

greenmachine001

Hey guys been lookin at a M1028a3 and got to noticing the ID tag on the door.
It's saying its a M1008? But it's a dually.. I'm sensing a converted M1008.. Or either the door has been changed. Also it just had a 208 transfer I would think a true M1028A3 would have the 205 t-case.

Basically what I'm wondering about and would definitely make me think if I really want it or not is if it's a M1008 it won't have the limited slip front? Even though I have heard of some M1008's having the limited slip front diff. If it were just an M1008 would they have possibly installed the limited slip diff In the front when they converted it? There isn't a way to tell I wouldn't think without getting it flexes out and see if both wheels pull or pull the cover.

Thanks

Attachments

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1028a3s have NP208s
M1028a2s have NP205s
4th digit of serial number should be an H. All M1008s have a G for the fourth digit.
Door on truck could always have been changed .
These are pics of modification into M1028a2 and what should be on the door.
Let us know what happens.

Attachments

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I looked at the same MV and I had the same questions , something does not appear correct with the data plates and/or the MV . Some where along the line SOMETHING got changed .:shrugs:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's really hard to tell since they all were conversions. Many trucks are a combination of other trucks and although it's shady, don't discount the possibility of a cab change. All M1028s had a helper leaf on top of the spring pack. If it's he truck you are considering does not have that, it deserves a closer inspection. I wouldn't cast away a good truck just because it didn't n have a trak lok in the front but I would if it was misrepresented. Anyone know if or where the VIN is stamped in the frame?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be right side top of the frame rail just behind the cab . It's pin stamped into the frame so if there is a lot of rust it could be hard to see .

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is the one in the classifieds. it started out as a regular M1028

Here is a photo of the door pillar dataplate. The NSN shows it as a M1028

dataplate.jpg

Doors get changed all the time so the door plate can be incorrect.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because my mind is SHOT , not sure where I saw the classified , here on this site or that other big buying/selling site . Looked like a nice MV through , ride and drive as they say .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The factory M1028 had the overload leaf at the top of the rear spring, not on the front springs.

Skinny

Realistically anything is possible

Could be the entire door off something else with the entire driveline pulled from a donor with the front axle of something else. The tags are meaningless in something so old. You really just have to look to see what you have. Lots of old MV's that go on ebay with 3/4 ton ten bolt front axles or gas engines because someone bastardized it somewhere.

Don't rely on the tag, pop the diff cover or jack it up to see if it's got a LSD front diff.

greenmachine001

Bastardized haha yeah that's definitely true. I hate to see good cucv's get picked apart for their axles t-case etc.

Im going to change the subject for a sec,Got another thing I'm really curious about with a CUCV dually, I have always loved the HMMWV wheels on the military bfg commercial baja t/a's and would love to have a set on my next cucv. How would I And is it possible to run those on a dually? I'm sure the front would go on nice with the dually hubs but how about out back? I just don't know how that would work.
Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks