• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Could I pull a pop-up camper behind a M1009?

dc9137

I'm in the process of looking for an M1009 but am a little unclear about towing capacity. I have a pop-up camper that probably weights 2,500-3,000 lbs loaded. Would the M1009 handle it in a stock condition? If not, where is the weakness? Is it the tow pintle, axles, transmission, etc.? Thanks for the input!

dc9137

Thanks! I'm a total newbie with very little experience so I'm starting from scratch. TM's will be my friend. The closest thing I have to experience is PMing an AAV back in the day.

Matt65

I would add an electric trailer brake controller and receiver hitch. You may also need to add a compatible connection for trailer signal lights.

Last edited:

Goose2448

^^^True, since you want to tow a modern civiy trailer, Class 3 receiver, wiring, controller. The electric should not be hard since its the same as any other chevy pick up....er....wait they have horrible wiring. But nothing is hard with hard work and research.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
400 Turbo with 3.08 gears spells heat. I would add a decent or larger tranny cooler to ensure long life for the 400 Turbo......and the other advice my associates have stated already.

Lagers4myhead

Well all the CUCV's have a built in transmission cooler right? If I understand things, the pintle hitch was a weak point because it wasn't very strong/well supported...yes, no?

Last edited:

Proud Army Dad

Welcome neighbor! I'm not new to automotive, but new to MV's...maybe we can scratch our heads with each other....Oh, shouldn't be a problem pulling a pop-up, might want to add an extra tranny cooler, just as you would on a civvy Blazer.

richingalveston

week pintle hitch and cooler is part of radiator

pintle hitch is week add 2 inch receiver.
the cooler is a small part of the radiator and not good enough for towing.
it works fine with no real load. but you will see your temps climb with a diesel the more you load it.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Short Wheelbase, 3.08 gearing, not the best tow vehicle.
2500-3000lb pop up :shock: Guess you really pack the gear in!

Yes, aftermarket trans cooler & class III or better frame hitch, stock size tires & she'll do fine except for the big hills.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1009 didn't have the pintle when i bought it. It did have the bolts for a standard under carriage receiver hitch (they're still there cause I'm may put a hitch on for S&G). Anyway, I know that you'll need to devise a way of putting a commercial hitch in place of the military one. They (several companies in several configurations) sell a commercial hitch that will directly replace the military pintle hitch.

The electrical problem...rewiring for the trailer lights. Just make sure when you tap into the fuse box, if you go that far, that you check for proper voltage. I can vouch for my truck having wiring for something in it's past that required 24 volt DC. Had I tapped into that without checking for 12 volt DC for my CB, fried electronics would be the result. All those wires have been removed. Don't want any electrical mistakes.

Last point...if you add a commercial underframe hitch remember the weight counts against you. those hitches weigh from 50 to 100 pounds. That's weight you lose in your carrying capacity. below is a picture of one of the comercial type pintle / ball hitches that may be used to replace the military pintle hook. You have to remove the pintle , drill holes and install. I haven't seen this mod done and can't say it would work but it's an option worth looking at.

Attachments

Last edited:

dc9137

2,500-3,000 was just a guess, and I was figuring worse case. That said, I'm pretty sure it weighs almost 1,900 without adding anything. I figure all the little things you throw in there add up to at least several hundred pounds when it's said and done.

You should be fine. I think the civy K5's have a towing capacity of somewhere in the 3000-5000lb range. CUCV is no different.

But yea, a 2" receiver hitch would be your strongest option. And trailer brake controller would be a good idea (if your pop-up has brakes).

Look at it this way...how many Grand Caravans/Tauruses/CRV's/etc do you see pulling pop-ups...

Drive reasonably and with caution, and you will be good.

vinny-socom1

My M1009 didn't have the pintle when i bought it. It did have the bolts for a standard under carriage receiver hitch (they're still there cause I'm may put a hitch on for S&G). Anyway, I know that you'll need to devise a way of putting a commercial hitch in place of the military one. They (several companies in several configurations) sell a commercial hitch that will directly replace the military pintle hitch.

The electrical problem...rewiring for the trailer lights. Just make sure when you tap into the fuse box, if you go that far, that you check for proper voltage. I can vouch for my truck having wiring for something in it's past that required 24 volt DC. Had I tapped into that without checking for 12 volt DC for my CB, fried electronics would be the result. All those wires have been removed. Don't want any electrical mistakes.

Last point...if you add a commercial underframe hitch remember the weight counts against you. those hitches weigh from 50 to 100 pounds. That's weight you lose in your carrying capacity. below is a picture of one of the comercial type pintle / ball hitches that may be used to replace the military pintle hook. You have to remove the pintle , drill holes and install. I haven't seen this mod done and can't say it would work but it's an option worth looking at.

that hitch will bolt into the military bolt holes, just don't know if it will help the towing capabilities

Vinny

dc9137

It looks like I need to find a military trailer and rig it as a camper...:) First I just need to find a truck. Thanks for all the input!

123mack

I used to have a Jayco 12' pop-up camper and pulled it with a Dodge 1500 with a 318, and never had any problems. Can't recall the exact gross, but it was in the 2500-2600 range. There should be a data plate on the camper with all the weights on it. If not, the manufacturer can provide that information. As for brakes, it came from the factory with no brakes of any kind.

Milkman357

I have pulled My m101A2 trailer with a pickup camper in the trailer.. The wind slowed me down.. So that tells me I didnt have enough torque.. I'd not take my M-1009 to the mountains towing anything...

Flat lands... in state.. yes..

Just not enough emph..
Add a turbo!.....