• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Could I pull a pop-up camper behind a M1009?

DXTAC

I have pulled our p/u for 3 years with my 1009 and haven't had a single issue. I did have the tranny rebuilt (before towing) with an RV shift kit , Derale coolant pan (2 extra quarts and cooling tubes), AMSOIL fluid and an external cooler. Turning radius ROCKS for some tight camping spots. My p/u doesn't have brakes so I don't have a controller. My only complaint is that after loading up with the twins, the wife, the bikes and the dog we are FULL. Selling the p/u this year as we bought a 21ft. hybrid. I will NOT be towing this with the 1009 as it's just too heavy and the 6.2 doesn't have the stones to pull it over 55.

Hope this helps,

Barrman

As already stated. Biggest transmission cooler you can afford/fit, reciever hitch, brakes for the trailer and go. The M1009 pulls small trailers like that great. Just realize that anything sticking up into the wind is going to limit top speed a lot.

Tanner

Recognize as well that towed load ratings also presume that only thing in tow vehicle is a 150-200 lb driver, and no additional passengers or cargo. It's been this way for years...

And this is where most people make their mistake - they wonder why the truck transmission failed/overheated when all they had was a truck cab/bed loaded down to max+ capacity with welders/tools/ladders/equipment, then added a max'd out loaded trailer hauling a Bobcat with extra gear & had 3 big boys in the cab... anyone for a smoked transmission?

Tanner

epartsman

My 2 cents, My 09 pulls a loaded m101a2 full of tires just fine. I have a pop up I pull with a 93 Aerostar that has no issues or trailer brakes. I am this year going to pull the axle off off the pop up and weld it's frame to the frame of a m116a2 genny trailer. I will have brakes, pintle, off road capability, and lighting but will be adding a class 3 hitch with a custom mount that will slide into the class 3 and tie into the OE pintle for strength. The class 3 hitch is a must, Uhaul makes a direct plug in 4 pin harness that you can unplug the military 12pin and plug it into. All of the trailer wiring on an 09 is 12V not 24V. As a matter of fact all of the chassis wiring that is not engine or Military Radio related is 12V.

Last edited: