• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Could this be a transmission filter clog?

sdasdona

My 86 Cucv starts fine runs smooth at idle and revs nicely however put it in gear or reverse 2wd or 4wd high and it is slow taking off and seemingly no power. Just for kicks I put it in 4wd low and it responds quickly and with power??? could this be a filter problem?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ummm, hold on.

Let's get a little more info before we condemn the transmission.

1. Is there any smoke when accelerating?
2. Any noises?
3. Does the engine rev high as though it's slipping?
4. Does it only shift one time? (starting in second perhaps?)
5. What happens when you shift into 1st gear then shift up?

Anubis8472

check these hoses.....i replaced mine....slipping issues went away.......
Little off topic, but thank you for posting that picture ...
The steel line fastened to the valve cover on mine is open.
It turns out PO replaced with a rubber line all the way down, but I've been banging my head on the table looking through fuel injector/return line diagrams and all the TM's trying to figure out what that open steel line is supposed to be.
Mystery solved.

On topic ...
A rebuild couldn't hurt. In fact for 25+ year old vehicles, it's due anyway no matter what your odo reads. I plan on doing mine as soon as my '96 ford is reliable enough to take the CUCV out of service for a while.

It's a little difficult for me to make a judgment on mine as it's the first automatic I've driven in over a decade. It doesn't so much feel like the trans is slipping, but more like the torque converter has a high stall speed.

Do you feel any difference between 1st and reverse?
Under normal conditions the trans should engage in reverse with higher pressure then it does forward.

Skinny

After ruling out vacuum and fluid condition/level issues, it sounds like you have delayed engagement which is classic worn transmission. If the above check out OK, I would probably go onto a pressure test and stall test to determine if it's a hydraulic pressure issue or if the clutches are holding correctly.

sdasdona

Reverse and forward act exactly the same in 2wd and 4wd high. 4wd low it responds splendidly

hoses all good

1. Is there any smoke when accelerating? Yes big time
2. Any noises? no
3. Does the engine rev high as though it's slipping? no
4. Does it only shift one time? (starting in second perhaps?) no
5. What happens when you shift into 1st gear then shift up? that works

has anyone every used one of those miracle fluids that you dump into ie Lucas??

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Please describe the color of the smoke. Is it black or white? I'm more inclined to a fuel delivery problem now...

sdasdona

The color is black and copious amounts. i have changed the fuel filter and it runs better for a little while then back to the same ole same ole. My understanding is black is unburnt fuel so if you have lots of black smoke you would be getting too much fuel right?