• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couple questions from a new guy

farmboyne

Hey guys my dad and I have a couple of questions for you. Ive done some searching but havent found any answers really to my questions.

First weve be contemplating getting a MV for a truck to use on the farm. Currently we have 2 2.5ton chevy grain trucks both with gas engines. One is a 66 and the other is a 74. both run pretty good but we also have a semi stretched with a grain box on it and we recently bought a semi and a hopper trailer so we dont really need both these little trucks around. The 74 gets used in the spring as a flatbed to haul seed and pull a fertilizer trailer for planting and it does get used for some other flatbed uses. Well the bed on the 74 is getting pretty sad, its been used to haul grain, cattle, and silage so the sides are shot and the floor isnt the best. So weve been thinking bout selling both of them and getting something diesel with a bed to make it a flatbed part time then use it with a tool boxs, a fuel tank and a welder and some oil tanks as a service truck most of the time with the idea that you can mix and match what we need by pulling some pins or something like the container trucks use.

Anyhow, to the questions we have, neither of us has been around MV before. So weve been reading on here how big 5 tons are. Well in my mind big is relative, are they 2.5 ton chevy truck big or like W900 Kenworth big? Were just trying to gauge size by things we know. CDL isnt a problem, weve both already got one.

We are thinking that we probably wont need both rear axles and would probably just take one off, I think this is refered to as "bobbing" am I correct? So what all is needed and what the procedure for bobbing? A link to where someones done it step by step would be AWSOME! Also what are the "real world" load limits after bobbing? We probably wont be hauling anything too heavy and it should be easier to get around with with a single rear.

Also whats needed to take a truck from 11.00 20s to the super singles i see on trucks here?

The truck we are looking at is a 1985 M925, has anybody ever took the stock bed and made it into a dump bed? It would be nice to have the dumping bed capabilites once in a while.

Thats all I have for now, thanks in advance to all that answer this.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 Ton is Kenworth BIG , VERY HD . Bobbing a 5 ton , WHY , IMHO , not worth the trouble for what you want to do with it Why not look for a 929 , which is a dump or you can add a dump body to a 925 or just about anything . Kits for that . Do bear in mind 24 volt system . I think your best bet would be to find a M929A1 or 2 which alread has the super singles , what was the question ? good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Triple C

They are W900 big. I drove a Freightliner FLD120 for years and this truck is bigger. When I was bringing the truck back from Riley, I looked down into the cab of lots of the class 8 trucks. Not all of them to be sure, but most. My 925 is about 28,000 empty (if I remember correctly.) I bought the truck with super singles already on them. I am looking at using the hydraulics to make my existing drop side bed dump. It doesn't look like too difficult a project and I think the bed is plenty stout for that. As for bobbing, I wouldn't. Not for hauling loads on uneven surfaces. These super singles are tall and two axles definately help the stability. I can't speak to the tractors but there are lots of folk here who can help you with that. Spend some time learning the difference between a tactical truck verses a commercial truck (read the tm's), that was the biggest difference I have found. These seem to be really good trucks for the money but don't forget they are getting old so there is maint that needs, no, HAS to be done to them to keep them dependable. The really cool thing is, there is more information on this site (and help) than you will ever be able to get through! One other thing comes to mind. The second biggest surprise to me (since I didn't do a personal inspection - a BIG no, no) was how high the bed on the 925 is. I had intended to use the truck to haul firewood but candidly, it really is too tall to do that easily, so I guess I am also suggesting you look at one in person to get a better perspective as to the size and applicability. Good luck and welcome.

farmboyne

About how high is the bed on your truck triple C?

Our thoughts with the 5 ton would be that if we did bob it that even with the extra axle off it would still be heavy duty enough for what we would want. The air only brakes and power steering was a big plus too

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello! I put a hoist under the military bed on a 2 1/2 ton military and used it for many years for hauling grain and stone. I would think you could put a hoist like a dual post salvaged off another truck under the bed of the 5 ton if you have facilities to do so. You can get a PTO from suppliers like Saturn or Memphis Equip., or maybe from someone on this site.
I would not recommend a dump truck for what you want to do; the bed is too short and would not adapt well for the loads you want to put on the truck. We use military trucks on the farm here and are happy with them. It will pull a heavy trailer with no problem also. We have a Ferree 18 ton tandem axle trailer with air brakes we pull with our 2 1/2 tons or the 5 tons. They handle it well. It is also great if you can get a winch truck. We have found it to be very useful. If you get a winch, it is good to have a block (pulley) so you can dou0ble the pulling force. Study up on safe winching procedure! A broken cable can kill you if you are in the wrong place. Feel free to email me privately for more discussion if you wish.
Regards Martin Sacks

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thought: about "bobbing" the truck; personally I would NOT recommend it. A lot more work than you can imagine with little gain.

Triple C

About how high is the bed on your truck triple C?

Our thoughts with the 5 ton would be that if we did bob it that even with the extra axle off it would still be heavy duty enough for what we would want. The air only brakes and power steering was a big plus too
The bed is about five foot off the ground (approximately.) I can measure it for you tonight if you want. When you add the sides, it is over six feet.

Hooper

OK thanks I guess my next question is about how tall is a duece with a flatbed on it?
Having owned all three, I would guess the duece bed to be 12-15 inches lower in height and two foot shorter in length. The problem with the M35A2 is unless you find one that has been gone through they can be needy. Many of them are over 40 years old and have spent most of that time sitting. The M35A3 has its own set of issues and in my opinion the A3 is my least favorite. (Expensive and hard to find tires, leaky CTIS system, auto trans that seems less than durable and a low cruising speed 45 mph)

Hooper

Hey guys my dad and I have a couple of questions for you. Ive done some searching but havent found any answers really to my questions.

First weve be contemplating getting a MV for a truck to use on the farm. Currently we have 2 2.5ton chevy grain trucks both with gas engines. One is a 66 and the other is a 74. both run pretty good but we also have a semi stretched with a grain box on it and we recently bought a semi and a hopper trailer so we dont really need both these little trucks around. The 74 gets used in the spring as a flatbed to haul seed and pull a fertilizer trailer for planting and it does get used for some other flatbed uses. Well the bed on the 74 is getting pretty sad, its been used to haul grain, cattle, and silage so the sides are shot and the floor isnt the best. So weve been thinking bout selling both of them and getting something diesel with a bed to make it a flatbed part time then use it with a tool boxs, a fuel tank and a welder and some oil tanks as a service truck most of the time with the idea that you can mix and match what we need by pulling some pins or something like the container trucks use.

Anyhow, to the questions we have, neither of us has been around MV before. So weve been reading on here how big 5 tons are. Well in my mind big is relative, are they 2.5 ton chevy truck big or like W900 Kenworth big? Were just trying to gauge size by things we know. CDL isnt a problem, weve both already got one.

We are thinking that we probably wont need both rear axles and would probably just take one off, I think this is refered to as "bobbing" am I correct? So what all is needed and what the procedure for bobbing? A link to where someones done it step by step would be AWSOME! Also what are the "real world" load limits after bobbing? We probably wont be hauling anything too heavy and it should be easier to get around with with a single rear.

Also whats needed to take a truck from 11.00 20s to the super singles i see on trucks here?

The truck we are looking at is a 1985 M925, has anybody ever took the stock bed and made it into a dump bed? It would be nice to have the dumping bed capabilites once in a while.

Thats all I have for now, thanks in advance to all that answer this.

Yeah like a Kenworth with a lift kit and huge tires.

farmboyne

The M35A3 has its own set of issues and in my opinion the A3 is my least favorite. (Expensive and hard to find tires, leaky CTIS system, auto trans that seems less than durable and a low cruising speed 45 mph)
What are the issues you're reffering to? and can the tire issues be fixed? Im sorry for the dumb questions.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M. 35A3 was a stopgap measure between the M35A2's and the FMTV's (the new standard in small military cargo trucks).
It was upgraded with a throw away CAT engine and Allison Automatic tranny. It also has the Central Tire Inflation System (allows you to adjust the tire pressure from inside the cab on the fly) which comes with it's own unique set of problems. Axle bearings will cost you a war pension.
They are slower than the older deuces due to the low gearing in the Allison. They are also butt ugly.
You could not run fast enough to give me one.
I now have a M927 (long wheel based version of the M925/926) and I love it. For what you will pay for a deuce you can almost buy a 5 ton depending on where you are. They are selling a lot of 900 series trucks out of Kansas.
The 900 series trucks have an air actuated front axle rather than a sprag unit like on the 800 series 5 tons. Very useful, if you see trouble coming up go ahead and engage the front axle before you get stuck.
For what you are proposing to use the truck for I'd go with the 900 series.
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

Scarecrow1

Hello like the other guys said it is that big. The bed is as triple C said 5 ft even off the ground and even when you back up to most loading docks you are still a foot taller than them. The sides on most are drop sides so if you have a method of loading it like a front end loader it's a breeze. I am against bobbing any MV but, that's just me if it ain't broke don't mess with it. Every truck has it plus and minus factor. From the utilitarian sense of what you need i feel it will be a compromise between comfort of a 5 ton to the versatility of a Deuce. Just do your home work and you will make the right call...

farmboyne

Dad and I were wondering about this: What about scrapping the stock bed and build a flatbed that will sit much lower on the frame? Combine that with converting the rear to air ride and having a dump valve to allow the rear to "kneel". How much lower could you get the deck to sit? Could you get it to around 4ft give or take?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you get a truck with duals it will sit lower. Putting a flatbed on might drop it another few inches but since you have to have a frame under the flat bed you won't gain too much.
There is no way to dump air since they have spring suspensions. Going with a lower profile tire will drop it some more but you will lose road speed.
My M927 with super singles will top out around 63 but the sweet spot is around 53.

Hooper

What are the issues you're reffering to? and can the tire issues be fixed? Im sorry for the dumb questions.

No, don't be sorry, ask away. The A3 tire has a very small bead and because of this youare stuck buying the A3 tires. Presently, with so many A3's being dumped by the government these tires are hard to find and in new or like new condition will cost you 600 each. You can always get 7 new rims and put 395's on it. But again, you're going to spend 150 per tire and 200 ish for each rim. The Central Tire Inflation is plagued with problems. Just drive through any army base and you will see tons of trucks with flat tires. Setting flat will wreck the tire. The CTIS controller on the steering wheel is the most expensive part that goes bad with CTIS. They are also hard to find. CM systems will rebuild yours for 400.

There are many threads in here about the automatic trans.The government puts in gear lube. The trans works that way but it does not work great, especially for longevity. Many have tried to flush it and go back to dexron which is recommended by Allison but have flushed away what was left of their clutch plates. The worst part for me was the speed. I hated driving towork on the highway at 45 mph. It was maxed out at 54 mph. (3300 rpm I think)Oh yeah, the other thing about the CTIS on the A3's, they add a counter weight to compensate for the CTIS valve, the problem is this set up does not make for a balanced wheel. Mine had a pretty good shake above 40. The M923 is smooth,even at 69.:-D Hope this helps.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks