• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cowl Vent Height

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How high should the cowl vent raise? When I got the truck, it was stuck closed. Since I am still taking it all apart, I am to the point of removing it. Everything under the dash is removed now so I sprayed PB blaster on the moving parts and as in the picture, this is as far as it goes. I'm still going to remove it for the restoration but wonder how far up it should go.

Attachments

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roughtly twice as high. Most of the screen should be above the cowl when fully open.
Thanks!! I took the vent out today and the hinges were very rusty and would not move much. It would not open at all when I first tried last week but I did manage to open it as in the picture. Now, the hinges are free after lots of PB blaster and WD-40. The pawl that latches the handle is also rusted fast so I need to work on that and replace the spring. When I get to the point of reassembly, after restoration, where does the cowl seal go?

WarrenD

In the outermost trough. I'll see if I can get a pic posted in a few days. You'll want to scrape out any old gasket/sealant before painting. I've been told that instead of buying the seal pre-formed, you can just pour in black weatherstripping gasket cement and wait for it to mostly set up. Then close the vent and it will make it's own indents. I used the bought seal strip as I could see some problems with using only the cement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks