• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cracked CUCV starter?

Mike_Pop

This is strange. I've never had this happen before.

A couple days ago, I heard a rattling sound. It sounded like a loose exhaust clamp. I checked but couldn't find it. The next day, I went to start the truck and the sound was worse, the engine would not crank. I figured...stuck starter. So, I pulled the relay and it kept on spinning. Eventually, I pulled the hot lead to get it to stop. Needless to say, the neighbors weren't too happy about all the noise at 6:30 am.

After I pulled the starter out, I found that the cone around the gears was broken right off and pieces were hitting the flywheel. Luckily, the flywheel is not damaged.

What could cause this? This is a remanufactured starter that I installed in June. I haven't even driven the truck much in the past few months.

Attachments

dependable

May be time for a gear reduction, unless you can find a good rebuild. If you go to 12v, it is all easy with the gear reduction, though I understand why you may want to stay original. 24 volt gear reduction also available. I think it is # mt-28.

ssgtwright-usmc

Could be worse.
When I bought my M1008 the previouse owner must have had the same problem and made a temp fix to it before selling the CUCV to the next buyer who was me.
The starter was making the same noise on me and I took the started off just to find out that he tried to JB WELD the nose piece back onto the starter and then used a hurricane framing brace to make a hanger from the starter to the top of the frame.
Its bad how some people try to dislead people when it comes to buying a vehicle from someone.
JB Weld and a hurricane clip, LOL!!!!

devilman96

I wouldnt say that was strange, I would say its typical of a OEM 6.2 starter! Get a gear reducted starter, new bolts, never worry about it again.

ssgtwright-usmc

I do think that duck tape would have worked better and longer too.
Hell, duck tape worked for Apollo 13 and got them home.
JB weld made buy a vehicle not knowing their was a starter problem till about 2 months later.
At least the starter was ready for the hurricane force winds.

JohnFire

I have had this happen multiple times to me. They had alot of bad castings for these nosecups. Have showed them to people that do casting and metal work and that was what they said with each one of mine. One of the main reasons I changed to 12V was all of the starter problems I had along with the high cost of the 24V starters when my dad had to try and get them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks