• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crane air brakes

Deuce007

I have a cane coming soon and I am wondering how to unload it. It has NO fluids so I can't start it to drive it off so I am thinking I can pull it off but in order to do that I need to release the air brakes. Does anyone know how to do that without starting it?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
cage the spring brakes, thay are most likley already caged, needed to be to load

nf6x

Feral Engineer
It wouldn't hurt to get some caging bolts ahead of time in case the ones on the crane aren't already caged, and their caging bolts are missing or rusted into place in the storage tubes. Are caging bolts all the same, or do they vary for different kinds of cans? My air-brake experience is limited so far... but it'll grow a bit more when my EUC clears! :jumpin:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I've seen it recommended in another thread to get extra caging bolts from a truck shop prior to a pick-up. Do truck shops usually carry an assortment of caging bolts? If I wanted to get a spare set of bolts for an M923, for example, what would I ask for? I'd imagine that a random truck shop employee wouldn't be familiar with M900-series trucks, so I'd need to know something like the brand and style of cans it uses.

I'd love to see pictures of your new crane if you have any, Deuce007! What kind of crane is it?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a air chuck in one of the feed tanks and charge it with a portable air compressor.
This is what I'd try. You'll have service brakes until the tanks run dry. If you have major air leaks this won't work.

cage the spring brakes, thay are most likley already caged, needed to be to load
By caging the brakes you will release them but you'll have no service brakes unloading it. I've done it but it can get pretty exciting coming off a trailer with no brakes.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The service brakes, should still work, if the cans are caged! The portable air compressor is a good trick. Just keep it hooked up and have somebody walk the hose along with the truck, as it is unloaded.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The service brakes, should still work, if the cans are caged!

Not if you don't have any air pressure. If you've got air pressure why would you cage the brakes? If the service brakes work there's no reason to cage them.