• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crank but no start m1009 need advice

phocks

haha ok definitely messed something up. i opened the bleeder valve on the fuel filter base all the way, went to crank and straight air pressure came shooting out of i think the bottom of it. something to do with prime right? do i tighten the bleeder all the way then crank or what?

cucvrus

You bleed the air out of the top bleeder on the fuel filter base. NOT the bottom drain. And if you have the glow plugs out you may as well test them. Keep them out till you have fuel first out of the bleeder on the top of the fuel filter. The engine will crank over much easier. Then with the wire attached to the injection pump. Loosen all the nuts on the fuel delivery nozzles and crank the engine over until they are wet. tighten them all and reattach the wire to the injection pump. Reinstall all 8 of the glow plugs and try and start the engine after the wait light goes out. Report back.

phocks

is the nozzle i should loosen the larger one at the base closest to the block or the smaller one further away from the block? also air/fuel was shooting out of the glow plug holes when cranking with the large pink wire on IP disconnected. the glow plug holes are wet

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just gonna say it, but the -20TM has step by step instructions for both bleeding the fuel system, and diagnosing the GP system, with pictures. It is written at a novice level. Very easy to follow.

cucvrus

is the nozzle i should loosen the larger one at the base closest to the block or the smaller one further away from the block? also air/fuel was shooting out of the glow plug holes when cranking with the large pink wire on IP disconnected. the glow plug holes are wet
Not sure why it would be shooting out fuel with wire off. Unless it is that full of fuel from previous attempts to cold start without the aid of glow plugs. Hook the wire back up put the glow plugs back in and give it a whirl. report back.

And on the note of reading the TM. That is fine you can do that too. But I thought this was all part of having this page so people with a similar hobby and experience could chat. Not reference TM's to others. Next time someone ask me a question in public. I should belittle them and say Google that question and part number and you will find the part and answer to the question. In my line of work I prefer to be experienced and knowledgeable first and book smart maybe 3rd. i still like to figure things out on my own and see how things are supposed to work. I do occasionally YouTube some things. TM's really never had much time for them. They are 2nd grade reading level. See Billy's fuel system. See Billy bleed the fuel filter. WOW the CUCV starts VRROOM. See Jane ride in the CUCV. Jane and Billy ride the CUCV around town. Now that Billy can bleed the fuel system. Happy Jane. Happy Billy. Spot chases the CUCV thru town. Run Spot run. And they all lived happily ever after. Because Billy had just been discharged from the Marine Corps and he had common sense and could talk with others. Today's lesson Be nice to others no matter what the TM says. :)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

cucvrus

Lets all hope he has his CUCV started by now and is out driving and enjoying the drive. That is what my goal was all along. I know that some people can read things and have no memory or complete understanding of what they read. Poor reading comprehension or lack of experience and self confidence. Others if helped along with by an experienced person will retain up to 90% of what they did by being helped along and doing the work themselves. Hands on training is always the best teacher. It also builds confidence and rewards the teacher/helper and encourages the newbie to branch out and try new things without the fear of doing things incorrectly. We take people off the street and teach them to build new trucks hands on. We give a few hours of safety training and onto the assembly line they go. We used to train with models and it was not as effective as the real world training. Some people have never seen an air fitting being attached to an air drill. And in a few weeks they are working as assemblers and doing a great job. Not all but a higher percentage with the hands on training verses the book/model training we used to teach. Safety is the biggest factor in training people properly. My intentions are always to teach and help out and share shop floor/field experience. Thank you. I enjoy the hobby and helping others any time. my advise/opinion may not be exact. But I try to be as accurate as possible sight unseen of the issue being addressed. As always. Have a great day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks