• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

crank no start

cobia2017

M1008: when motor is cold in morning first start of day (although it is hot summer), I am getting prolonged cranking and no start, after doing this a couple of times it barely starts and dies a couple of times and then it will start and stay running while expelling a big plume of white smoke...then after running motor for a few minutes it starts up perfectly...not sure if glow plugs or inadequate gas coming to motor?? thoughts are appreciated as always.
Robbie

glaser06

M1008: when motor is cold in morning first start of day (although it is hot summer), I am getting prolonged cranking and no start, after doing this a couple of times it barely starts and dies a couple of times and then it will start and stay running while expelling a big plume of white smoke...then after running motor for a few minutes it starts up perfectly...not sure if glow plugs or inadequate gas coming to motor?? thoughts are appreciated as always.
Robbie
I sure hope there's no gas going to the motor!

Seriously though, check your glow plugs. You probably have several burned out, it's a simple resistance check with your ohm meter.

Sounds like you're cranking and cranking on it dumping a bunch of fuel into the cylinders. Then when it does finally catch, all that fuel is getting dumped down the tailpipe.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

cucvrus

Robbie
If it starts I would suspect the glow plugs are working fine. I would be more interested in checking the fuel system. It sounds like it is dropping the fuel and that lets it loose prime. This is a common issue with diesel engines of this age. It could be the pressure switch behind the fuel filter. Is that area wet? And remember it don't have to leak fuel out. Just allow air in. So it will take a little investigation and searching on your part. Common areas are also the side throttle shaft seals on the injection pump. If it is a pickup I have seen the cross over fuel lines at the rear of the cab frame rubbed thru at the frame. And worst case scenario is injection pump. Also check your lift pump see it it is wet. It could also be bad. If I could see it I could resolve it. So my suggestions are just experienced guesses at best. Good Luck report back.

nyoffroad

I'm leaning towards the lift pump, as they get old the diaphragm cracks and allows fuel to leak back to the tank/crankcase creating an out of fuel effect. One way to tell is to start the cold engine then shut it down immediately wait for an hour or so and restart. If the engine fires right up it's a fuel problem (always been the lift pump for me) if it doesn't start right away look start looking at glow plus ectra.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks