• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cranking problems

deloit

My truck has sat for several weeks and yesterday I went out to fire it up. Batteries were dead, so I thought. The only thing I heard was the clicking from the push button. The volt meter quickly went from green to yellow.

I removed the jumper between the two batteries and charged them with my truck. I same thing happened. Today I charged two sets of batteries and went to the deuce and same thing on both sets.

Tomorrow I gonna splice into the starter switch to see if thats the problem. After that, well, whats next? the starter itself?

thanks for any input
Del

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be a starter. Go directly to the starter and jump from the B+ to the pull in wire and see if it turns over. Just make sure the trans is in neutral.

Last edited:

coyotegray

You may also want to check the cables for corrosion and the terminals for good connections/crimp.
Sometimes the cables will look fine on the outside and be very corroded internally…

Andy..

airmech3839

:ditto:on cables and starter!! clicking to me means connection!!! 9 times out of ten it is the wires. either batt side or frame side or both!! get a wire brush and go to every cable from frame to batt to starter and check wire and clean terminals...including the posts on the batts! Then start changing parts if that dont work.:grd:

Mitymac

Place truck park brake on, tran and tranfer in nuetral switch on. See if you have full power at starter cable lug. If you do and it and starter only clicks. It means your selinoid copper disc is fried and is engaging selinoid but not engaging starter motor. Disconect bat cables, remove selinoid back cover. (careful it is spring loaded and cover is under pressure) Take copper disc out and inspect it. If it is fried, flat file it smooth, flip it over reinstall, try it.
Thats what I would do but I am only a private.

airmech3839

Mitymac......good info, private:twisted:...have never broken case open before I shall remember this if I run into this situation again!!:driver:

With info like that you will be promoted fast around here:beer:

Heavysteven

I had a similar problem a month ago. Start button clicked no start. Terminal was loose, I then cleaned and replaced all of then. Hit the starter with a wrench. Good to go.

Good luck

side note: truck has check batteries daily, I'm kicking myself for not checking the terminals sooner.

deloit

Today I crawled under the truck with jumper cables and batteries in the back of my mule. The only thing happened was the low air buzzer started working. It was to dark to do anything else. Should have more time tomorrow.

Stan

The wire from the start switch goes to a solenoid mounted on the engine block above the starter. If your start button is ok check here next.