• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crankshaft keyway with balancer swap?

Asmoday

Crankshaft key replacement with balancer swap?

Hey all,

So I'm getting ready to pull the timing cover off this weekend to fix a coolant leak as well as replace the water pump and the harmonic balancer.

What seems to be the guideline on replacing the key on the crank?

Does the key need to be replaced when swapping out the balancer or not?

I ask because I have heard horror stories of them being very hard to remove and I have enough to do without opening Pandora's Box trying to swap one out?

If it does need to be removed what's the best method to get it out?

Obviously I will be changing everything out with the engine still in the vehicle but the radiator will be out as it's getting re-cored as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:

dependable

If the key is in good shape, w no distortions, I think it is fine to leave it, as it is not a wear part. The new one would probably be chineese anyway. You are smart to replace balancer while in there,

allenhillview

I used correct size punch, hit straight in toward center of crank, you want to push it out using it's radius as an advantage, go slow with a planned strike with hammer, but yes I still had to be patient, it will mushroom on you, finally at the end I took a cold chisel (small one-3/16" or so

dug in on top of key before touching crank, taped two tooth picks together to lay against crank then used my chisel as a lever. If I had it to do over I would take advice of above post. You know how we think, "if you got it out replace with new it took me to long not to be sure"! Good luck

on your damper. Which did you buy? I used the doorman, I would like to have had the fluid choice but pricey. Mine was not that bad, but bad enough to see rubber was missing in two places, and yes it did remove all the slight wobble. I'll just watch the new one , under hood looking all

the time anyway.

Last edited:

Asmoday

I will be installing the Fluidampr...:)

I did get a couple of new keys from GM. I used the part number from the TM for it. Where they were made who knows but I have them just in case.

I was pretty pissed today when I went to my GM dealer I buy my parts from to pick up the new water pump.

It said "Assembled in USA with parts made in China". Man I was mad but what are you going to do? Too bad but that's they way of the world now...aua

I ALWAYS try to buy USA and don't mind paying more but sometimes there is just no other way...It Really pisses me off...:x