• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crankshaft movement

DieselBob

Breaking a crankshaft and having the engine run pretty much normal except for noise, and not always that, happens every now and again. It really depends where the break happens and how much load the engine is under. With the noise you indicated it made as you rotated it and that much movement I would also be inclined to think it might have broken a crank. Hope I'm wrong but something inside the block isn't right.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Does the flywheel wobble bolted to the crank, .010 up/down movement would HAVE to mean most of the mains are well past worn, unless a broke crank, but with this you will get wobble, how far will the crank move forward/back. put the dial indicator on the back, move crank forward/ back, then do the same only pry at front, if you do not get same readings, you have a broke crank. at rear push crank all the way forward then pry back, move to front with indicator still set at rear, pry forward, the readings for the movement should be the same.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You will know if you had a broke crank. I broke one and it was WAY noticeable. Saturn Surplus should have standard bearings in stock. Have you looked at the tag on your motor near the alt? It should tell you if it has STD. bearings or over sized ones. No need to buy the wrong sh1t!

cev65

I pulled the flywheel off and thought id try it one more time, so i took a sanding block and sanded the back of the crank making sure it was flat. There was a couple spots that were not, from loctite of foreign debris. After i sanded ite back of the crank I reinstalled the flywheel and put the indicator back on it. It only movs About 2 thousandths now. Im gonna live with that, and just watch the oil pressure cause i know when the mains start to go you begin to lose oil pressure. I currently have a mechanical gauge on it and it carries around 60 to 70 lbs of oil pressure. So well see what happens.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From your last post, it sounds like you were measuring flywheel FACE run-out(not crankshaft end play), or not crankshaft bearing play.

You need to be more clear or people may have you disassembling your engine, for the wrong reasons.

Simply posting a picture of your dial indicator setup, would have cleared this up.