• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crankshaft pulley options for 6.2 diesel

79Vette

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm getting ready to add AC to my m1009, and figuring out where to mount the compressor. I will be keeping the 24v charging system and adding a 6.5 turbo in the future, so the plan is to build a bracket to hang the compressor under the driver side alternator.

I had been planning to use the four groove v belt crank shaft pulley from a HMMWV to add an additional belt for the compressor, but in my searching I found this pulley for a lower price than I can find any of the four groove varient. Has anyone seen a 5 groove "HMMWV" V belt pulley before? The dimensions look about right for. 6.2 crank pulley, but I've never seen one like this before.

Attachments

Barrman

Interesting. I have only come across the 4 groove V belt pulleys in the past. 4 or 5 groove should work on the CUCV.

I figure the bolt on the side of the block currently used as the rear power steering pump bracket mount and in front of the motor mount will figure in your mounting of the compressor. Use some kind of thread locker on that bolt. They tend to work themselves loose over time no matter how tight they are tightened.

79Vette

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the Humvee pulley set works.

The water pump pulley comes with a mounting boss for the Humvee fan clutch which is not correct for a CUCV. You just have to remove this boss and machine a counterbore to accept the CUCV fan, or I suppose you could run a Humvee fan.

Also the spacing off the front of the crank is different. If you use a Humvee crank, water pump, and power steering pulley then all of those drives will line up, and you will just need to shim the alternators about 3/16" forward. There is a good write up on this procedure on the dieselplace forums. I was not impressed with the machine work he used to mount the fan, but I guess you have to make do with what you have... The rest of the write-up is quite good however.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks