• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

crankshaft thrust washers

JasonS

Anyone know if the crankshaft thrust washers on the reo gas engine can be replaced without dropping the crank? It appears that I can remove the timing cover and crank gear to replace the front washer. If I remove the front main cap can the the thrust washer be turned/slide out? I have ~0.022 end play.

rdixiemiller

Does this engine index off the thrust washer? Or is the center main bearing a thrust bearing? Most engines I have worked on have the center main with a built on thrust surface. I worse came to worse, and you do have to replace the front thrust washer, you should be able to loosen off the main caps and drop the crank down enough to weasel it out of there. I have not been able to find the gas engine manual on PDF yet, so I can't look and see.

JasonS

This engine uses two half moon bronze washer washers. The thrust journals are the crank timing gear and the cheek of the #1 main. Shims are used between the crank gear and the crank to adjust the end play. I have a paper copy of the reo engine manual but it doesn't have enough detail to determine if the change can be made with the crank in place.

rdixiemiller

Back in my college days, I worked as a mechanic to put myself through school. The only engines that had significant end play in the cranks were those with a manual tranny setup. The pressure of releasing the clutch is taken up by the thrust bearings on the crank. the bearing will be worn on the back side, but unless the end play is causing problems on the timing gear end, you have little to worry about. You can add some shims behind the crank gear to take out the free play. I believe about .008" is about right on an older engine. Unless you are having problems that you can attribute to this, it is probably not worth fixing. If you are tearing down the engine for a rebuild, you will replace the bearings anyway. I would not tear down a good running engine for this, you can run years with that much end play and at the most have a little oil leak at the front seal.
The only real problems I ever saw was on an elderly Chevy dump truck with a 348. The crank had enough end play to cause timing chain issues (about .06"). I believe the REO engine uses two meshing gears, so you are probably OK.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks