• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crazy Mileage.

plym49

It looks like I got some crazy mileage with my Deuce. Carrying 4,000 lbs plus in the bed and flat towing my Jeep, driving hilly Interstate with the hand throttle pulled out to 55 mph on the flats (did 50-ish up hill and 58/59 downhill), 11.00x20 super singles. 230 miles and 16.2 gallons. 14.2 mpg! Hard to believe.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Carrying 4,000 lbs plus in the bed and flat towing my Jeep, driving hilly Interstate with the hand throttle pulled out to 55 mph on the flats (did 50-ish up hill and 58/59 downhill), 11.00x20 super singles. 230 miles and 16.2 gallons. 14.2 mpg!
Not bad for a vehicle that has the aerodynamics of a concrete block.

Be real careful with that "Redneck Cruise Control".

plym49

Not bad for a vehicle that has the aerodynamics of a concrete block.

Be real careful with that "Redneck Cruise Control".
Yeah, I'm pretty good with it. It makes quite a difference on a long trip because I can move my legs to more comfortable positions.

I was amazed that I never had to down shift up hill. On a similar trip with my Jeep towing a lightly loaded M416 trailer, I had to down shift going up hill and even then was lucky to do 45.

Last edited:

plym49

I was actually surprised and, thinking about it some, I did not count the gallon of two-stroke oil or the quart or two of diesel conditioner that also went into the tank. If I add that gallon and a half in, then I used 17.7 gallons to go the 230 miles, and that means 13 mpg on the nose.

plym49

I'm more amazed that you had it up to 55! Mine feels pretty squirrely at that speed.
I've heard that all of these trucks have their own sweet spot, and 55 or 56 is where my truck likes to run. I have tried cruising at 50 but it wants to go 55. There are a few rpms left with the tires I am running, so I could run 58 or 59, but it does not feel as happy there. (Not counting downhill, when it goes up that high - I am talking about level road cruising.) It's kind of funny and I was initially apprehensive about runing 55 as I had heard that rpm kills multifuels. But the motor just wants to run there, so I do, and knock on wood it has been OK so far (about 700 highway miles in all so far).

zeisshensoldt

Quick quesiton, not trying to hijack. I'll be bringing my first deuce home friday (only drove a deuce once) and I'm curious if it's safe to run it full throttle nearly all the way home (500 miles)? Also, how simple is it to run that throttle control as a speed control?

Flyingvan911

Run at 55 and you will be fine. Keep the rpm's around 24-2500 and you'll be fine. Check the truck over real good to be sure it's ready for a long haul.

My deuce has the LDS and gets about 8.5 mpg. Deuce gas milage is usually about the same loaded or empty, tarp or no tarp, etc.

zeisshensoldt

I also got some of that "diesel kleen-cetane booster" was told that it would be a good first tank additive. Now is that cetane booster an absolute necessary additive to use every time i fill up the tank, or is more like a one time thing?

Flyingvan911

I just run Power Service antigel in the winter and injector cleaner periodicly. Dump a quart or two of motor oil in with every fill-up to help lube the injector pump. Good diesel from a reputable gas station will be just fine. No extra cetane needed. Read and search through the deuce forums. There's a ton of info there.

zeisshensoldt

Thanks for the help buddy. What kind of motor oil would be best? Also, with all of this, motor oil, and additive stuff, is it necessary to mix the stuff in the tank somehow (stick?) or do i just dump it in and forget?

eagle4g63

If you are bringing an A2 home than ANY kind of motor oil is fine.....as to mixing just dump in what you need(oil diesel clean, or what not) and start it up-or while it is running. There is a return line on the motor so it will always cycle the fuel in the tank and it will mix it for you.....no worries!

greenjeepster

Zeis

Somewhere in the cab there is probably a warning label that tells you safe speed and RPMs,

How are you guys calculating MPG? Filling the tank isn't really an accurate indicator of fuel consumed and if you changed the tires you odometer isn't going to be accurate either?

I am looking for a method to calculate it with some sort of accuracy. Only thing I can think of is to put 5 gal in it and run it empty using GPS to mark distance traveled.

plym49

Quick quesiton, not trying to hijack. I'll be bringing my first deuce home friday (only drove a deuce once) and I'm curious if it's safe to run it full throttle nearly all the way home (500 miles)? Also, how simple is it to run that throttle control as a speed control?
I am running larger diameter tires so at 55 mph I am running lower rpms than you will be if you have the stock tires. Just don't push it and take the time to learn about your truck and how it behaves.

I use the hand throttle as a cruise control BUT I am a good driver and I know how to handle it. You have to be aware of your traffic surroundings. For example, if you are on the Interstate with light traffic and you are doing 55 and everyone else is passing you at 70, then you are probably OK. But when a minivan cuts in front of you and uses the highway as a deceleration lane to make an exit, you better be ready as these things do not stop on a dime and I would never trust the brakes on a truck I just recovered.

Troll1216

48 mph is my truck's sweet spot.
I use diesel (ultra low sulphur) and use sea foam. I was thinking about adding a qt of unused but old motor oil on my next fill up. Correct me if I am wrong but how would fresh 2 cycle be for an IP lube?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks