• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crew Cab conversions Who does GOOD ones?

ScubaCat

Looking at a few trucks and I seriously want a crewy...Ive also talked to a few people who have given their opinions about who do hack jobs while charging a premium and others who charge way to much in their eyes. Why does good work for a fair price in a REASONABLE time frame.

My truck plan is a resto-mod, a daily driver BEAST. Something I can run off road and not care about scratches or other crap that keeps people in their shiny land rovers from going off pavement. Been accumulating parts for a time now and am planning a pretty awesome build. Looking for someone who'd like their name attached to it... ;)

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a parts deuce coming. I've never done a crew cab, but the idea appeals to me. I've got next to nothing in the deuce, so I'm thinking I'll make it a 6x6 crew cab, either as a rolling chassis, or a running truck depending on what I find when I dig into the driveline.

I do quite a bit of custom fab work. What I find works really well is to work right alongside the customer. This way it gets done exactly like they want it, and they have the hands on ownership of it. The last thing I did was a flatbed for an early power wagon.

I'm way too far away to be of any use to you, other than ideas and suggestions.

BigDawg41

Give Ken a call at Kublos military surplus out near Binghamton NY to see if he would build you one .When I was out there a year ago to get parts he was just finishing up a crew cab build for his own personal use. Man did that thing look sweet and he did an awesome job.

ScubaCat

Give Ken a call at Kublos military surplus out near Binghamton NY to see if he would build you one .When I was out there a year ago to get parts he was just finishing up a crew cab build for his own personal use. Man did that thing look sweet and he did an awesome job.
No go. Says to much work. This is crazy, have people saying its not that bad, others saying it is and people telling me about the ones done by other companies that are shoddy etc...

If anyone who is honest, trustworthy and does good work is interested in making some coin on the side, IM me.

ArizonaGasMonkey

Be cautious when people talk about custom work and how good they are at it. Sometimes its worth paying a few $$$ more to not deal with the BS and then you get a real deadline and project completion. When deadlines are not met you hope to have room to discuss discounts. I tried to get someone on this forum to build me a 5 ton crew cab and they mentioned they didn't have a way to lift and move a cab which requires multiple on and offs. I sent mine to a guy up in Kingman, AZ and he said 45-days to completion and was done in 29.
Good luck with your search. The best way to keep costs down is by providing all of the parts.
If someone does not have the ability to move heavy parts around its best to stay away from them and move to the next person on the list.

ScubaCat

Be cautious when people talk about custom work and how good they are at it. Sometimes its worth paying a few $$$ more to not deal with the BS and then you get a real deadline and project completion. When deadlines are not met you hope to have room to discuss discounts. I tried to get someone on this forum to build me a 5 ton crew cab and they mentioned they didn't have a way to lift and move a cab which requires multiple on and offs. I sent mine to a guy up in Kingman, AZ and he said 45-days to completion and was done in 29.
Good luck with your search. The best way to keep costs down is by providing all of the parts.
If someone does not have the ability to move heavy parts around its best to stay away from them and move to the next person on the list.
I found a shop in NH that seems to have a clean, well equipped shop, they build a lot of custom truck beds and plow set ups and sounded genuinely interested in the idea. Their work looks to be good quality.

ScubaCat

Im curious what shop you spoke to?
I'd have to look them up again...reached out to them over the weekend and they got back to me this morn. Quality of work and welds looks good, at least from their site pics. They also make something called "ice houses"?... Must be a N.E. thing....they look nice either way....

603hellmutt

Interesting, Well if you get a chance to find out feel free to enlighten me. The guys that i work with want me to turn my truck into a crew cab after i showed them a picture of jeep nastys build before it was bobbed. They are skilled tradesmen I on the other hand, am not. If only i didnt work on a boat.