• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crickets driving me nuts

edpdx

I noticed a continuous cricket-like chirping sound coming from under the M1009 Blazer two days ago. I have not yet isolated it s it doesn't seem to present at idle in the driveway. Whenever I accelerate though I can hear it. It does not grow louder, and I don't remember it gaining intensity with speed. Braking doesn't seem to affect it.

It's sort of like a cricket doing an impression of belt squeal.

The only thing that has bothered me under the carriage recently is the clunk when I come to a stop- I think it's the drive shaft in the yolk to the transfer case? Any ideas?

cucvrus

Check the constant velocity joint at the transfer case on the front drive shaft. There is a grease fitting inside the joint that you need to grease occasionally. I hope that helps you.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely sounds like a dry joint in the drive line somewhere. You can get under the truck with engine off, blocked against rolling, transmission in neutral, and inspect and try to shake all joints. Sometimes you see rust around the cross ends of a bad joint and they will move when shaken sideways. The advice on the CV joint is spot on; many times this hard to get at grease fitting is missed or ignored.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found the skid-plate under the fuel tank loose on mine; it was making a loud chirping sound at certain speeds due to vibration. The other noise maker on mine is the back seat catch.

cucvrus

Best advise I can give you is to remove the front drive shaft and clean up the CV joint and find the recessed grease fitting and grease it real good ( Special grease tip) and clean it and work it back and forth and grease it again before you reinstall it. Under normal use that will take care of it for a year or 2. Under severe use you may want to grease it and clean it more often. Good Luck. Just trying to help you out with some good sound advise.

edpdx

Check the constant velocity joint at the transfer case on the front drive shaft. There is a grease fitting inside the joint that you need to grease occasionally. I hope that helps you.

Is this the fitting? (#15)

front propellor.jpg

cucvrus

No this is a semi flush fitting back in the center of the constant velocity joint. At the rear of the front drive shaft. Between the 2 u-joints clean that area and you will see a small round fitting. You need to grease that fitting until the grease pushes out of the ball of the CV joint. you will need a special attachment for your grease gun. I will get you a picture if needed. I just put the drive shaft back on the VooDoo M1009

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran down to NAPA and picked up a needle fitting adapter for my grease gun ($20) and jacked the front of the '09 up. The front drive shaft came out pretty easily. The transfer case skid uses 9/16th wrenchs top and bottom. The aft end of the front drive shaft needs a 5/8ths wrench and my fancy ratcheting box-end worked great for these. Leave one bolt in before you attack the front universal joint straps (which use a 7/16ths wrench or socket) so the shaft doesn't spin. I pulled two of the aft bolts after moving the 4WD lever back one click, crawl out, push the lever, crawl under, turn the shaft, crawl out, pull the lever back, crawl under, remove the other two bolts.

I used an entire can of brake cleaner degreasing the shaft and U-joints. Pumped in grease until it came out the far side. I totally spaced on marking the drive shaft and flange, so I hope it isn't too big a deal for the front. Went out and did some hill climbs and drove around in 4WD- seems to be working great. The crazy cricket sound didn't get any better.

cucvrus

OK I have another idea for the sound. You may laugh but have you checked the door strikers on the B pillar? That can cause that drive you crazy sound you are describing. Check it. To see if it is the issue put a rag over the door strikers and slam the doors. Go for a ride see it that helps. A few other areas are the support rod near the bottom center of the dash board and the ash traty and glove box area. It can make that turkey call box sound if it is rubbing against something.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the last time I was listening for it the door was open. It's definitely coming from up under somewhere.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
'86

I just need to crawl under when it's doing it loud and figure it out. Some PM got done so I'm happy with that. Changed the oil and filter while I was there.

rsh4364

Did the op edpdx ever solve the chirping problem? I thought mainsail solved the problem by tightening fuel tank skid plate and rear seat latch? My 86 1009 is chirping now,so wondering.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks