• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cross country moving with a 5 ton/ need suggestions

ShdSteel

So I'm planning on moving soon due to job relocation (1200 miles away) and wanted to know the practicality of using my m923a2 to move myself.

I prefer not to go with movers again because last time it cost my family 35,000$. In part that's thanks to having multiple houses worth of stuff from several family members passing away at around the same time.

I just got my 5 ton titled and tagged with a b26 tag. I was wondering if I could get a van trailer and dolly, and haul it that way behind my 923. Is there anything wrong with that setup or could I give myself an excuse to buy another 5 ton and get an m931? I plan to have several bedrooms worth of furniture and lots of boxes.

You guys have any comments or recommendations? I don't mind the drive but I will say I have no experience in truck driving.

Im unsure if I could get away with using an m129 trailer being its only 28' long so I don't know of any other options. If any of you have a lead I wouldn't mind buying a ready to go trailer.

My last question would be do I need any type of special insurance or permits or anything to do this? It would strictly be as a private move nothing commercial about it.

Thanks in advance for your answers and look forward to figuring out a solution.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue with just about all military van trailers is that they are spring ride. Your possessions will be beaten to death. I have a 129 and it's dock height at the rear door, making for difficult loading. Ryder trucks would be my suggestion.

ShdSteel

Ah I see. I'm not familiar with the big truck stuff, but so are you saying to look into Ryder truck van trailer rentals?

Is there any legality type of stuff when it comes to hauling a large 5th wheel trailer but as a private individual? Any idea what it would cost?

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking Ryder bob tail truck. To get a 923/dolly/van semitrailer combination to where the commercial vehicle enforcement boys leave you alone will be a huge chore.

ShdSteel

Ah I see. I would prefer not to have to sell my truck when I move and avoid having to ship it too which is why I originally wanted to use it to move my stuff.

lindsey97

Pack all of the heavy bulky items in the M923, and use a civilian type trailer to pull behind it. Pack all of the glass/fragile items in a car or something that rides better.

Plan on averaging about 400 miles a day, anything more will compromise safety and sanity. Wear ear plugs. Place "not for hire" on the outside of the truck.

Moving with a 5 ton has been done and can be done.

fasttruck

Van trailer and dolly? Got as CDL with the appropriate endorsements? Otherwise you will be bear bait. Also very difficult to back up, especially if you do not have a fifth wheel tractor available.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue with just about all military van trailers is that they are spring ride. Your possessions will be beaten to death. I have a 129 and it's dock height at the rear door, making for difficult loading. Ryder trucks would be my suggestion.
Not necessarily...... look back at my NJ to NE relocation saga...... We used all mil trucks and van trailers to move my household, my parents household, and my grandmother's household approx. 15oo miles. This included a lot of delicates such as antiques, china (a lot of china/porcelain -- my mom is a big collector of that stuff), and lots of other delicate stuff. I am proud to say that not a single thing was damaged. It all depends on proper packing and ensuring adequate padding/packing all around objects to prevent unwanted shifting. We ended up going to several big box stores near where we were in NJ and taking their scrap cardboard off their hands. Don't leave any open floor space-- do even layers and interlace the items within those layers and you should be fine.......

Wreckerman, Cabell and a few others on here that helped with the convoys can attest how it went........

Z

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My advise worth every penny you pay for it.

Since you are not real experienced with truck driving, I would not start on a long trip with a trailer combination. Pack your M923 with things that are easily replaced if stolen while you are broken down and protect the cargo from the weather. Have a friend or family member follow you with a rental truck with another load. Leave your M923 at your new place after that one trip.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A van/dolly pulled with an M923 calls for a driver with extensive experience. That configuration doesn't back-up,more then a couple of feet, for all practical reasons. One thing one gets, when they hire a reputable moving outfit is insurance. If you want to drive your truck, load it with the the heavy stuff, as said - I suspect that it will still be a grand adventure. Be well versed with the trucks mechanical, especially the air system/brakes. M Series trucks are easily purchased, but extremely expensive to work on along the highway someplace.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not necessarily...... look back at my NJ to NE relocation saga...... We used all mil trucks and van trailers to move my household, my parents household, and my grandmother's household approx. 15oo miles. This included a lot of delicates such as antiques, china (a lot of china/porcelain -- my mom is a big collector of that stuff), and lots of other delicate stuff. I am proud to say that not a single thing was damaged. It all depends on proper packing and ensuring adequate padding/packing all around objects to prevent unwanted shifting. We ended up going to several big box stores near where we were in NJ and taking their scrap cardboard off their hands. Don't leave any open floor space-- do even layers and interlace the items within those layers and you should be fine.......

Wreckerman, Cabell and a few others on here that helped with the convoys can attest how it went........

Z
Z,
When I first saw this thread I thought of your epic exodus from NJ and hoped that you would chime in.

By the way...
How are things in Nebraska? Is the Witness Protection Program living up to its promises? (LOL)

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!John

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may not be convenient but in the long run it is safest and probably cheaper to take multiple trips first to bring the truck down and then come back and load up a large uhaul.. Think of Murphy... he always seems to wait around the corner. I wish you the best and a safe trip.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Especially for someone who doesn't have a clue about his truck. Nor the experience to drive a truck that far with a tag along trailer empty, much less loaded. and I would never suggest you to be on the road with a 5 ton and a dolly/trailer setup. Down the street is one thing but over the road is something else. You get put in a situation where you have to backup and your done for, jackknifed and bound up and your stuck there. Plus overloading and or overworking an unproven truck is another. We all have our own feelings about our own trucks cause we know them as we have all had them for awhile vs someone who just got their's less than a month ago. a road trip in an empty truck to get it home on a recovery is alot different than loading it with a bed full of stuff and expecting it to tow as well. Plus you get out in west texas and have issues it is going to cost you more for a wrecker bill and repair than using a uhaul on the second trip.

Other option is this. Buy a connex container a 40ft one should be enough. Load it and have it shipped to arizona with your crap and just carry your smaller things in the truck and your personal vehicle behind it on a trailer. Connex boxes are around 1100 and it would be 1200 to 1600 to get it there here as of late with the shipping costs on them I have seen.. Still cheaper than buying a trailer, dolly, plus your fuel and expenses and worry. Or lease the connex box for a 1way trip. Usually a month lease and a port relocation cost is around $400. Memphis yards will drop the connex box at your place with it on the trailer so you just load and unload No loading or unloading the box costs.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usafcoldwarrior,

Life is a million times better out here than it ever was back in NJ (that's my opinion for myself and my family-- no disrespect towards fellow NJ steelsoldiers)

We do need some prayers though--- the county wants to change zoning to allow industry of a non-ag nature in near the northern half of the county which was originally designated for smaller acreages (5-25 acres) with larger farms grandfathered in. We along with a good majority of the other residents in this region have been fighting it. Our (the opponents as a group) efforts did get under the commission's collective skin so far but they are still playing games...... I guess it doesn't matter where one goes, there will always be corruption in government to some degree...........

Z

dmetalmiki

My advise worth every penny you pay for it.

Since you are not real experienced with truck driving, I would not start on a long trip with a trailer combination. Pack your M923 with things that are easily replaced if stolen while you are broken down and protect the cargo from the weather. Have a friend or family member follow you with a rental truck with another load. Leave your M923 at your new place after that one trip.
That advice is really sound. And is what should be done in your case.
Take care 'arrive alive' is the motto here. And would be very much less worrisome for all concerned.
I moved home twice with my trucks, and it was tiresome in the extreme, Especially so when Murphy follows you part way!.
Good luck with you relocation, best wishes to you and yours in the new venture.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having done several moves involving households and military trucks, here's how I'd do it -

Load the 5ton to the gills. Drive it to destination. Go back and move the rest of your stuff by other means as if you didn't have a 5ton.

*If* it makes the difference between getting it all in one trip or not, consider an M1082. They're cheap enough to be worthwhile for just this single trip, if it makes the difference in a 2nd run or not.

A van trailer on a dolly behind the 5ton is going to be far more aggravation than it's worth. The same with an M989A1. You pull either of these into some place you have to back up and you're just done. One wrong turn... Especially in the context of never having driven doubles.

CDL with endorsements was mentioned. Irrelevant. You're not commercial. You're moving your stuff with your truck, with licensing valid in your home state. I have no experience with MS, but since you live there I presume you've got that taken care of. From experience I can tell you that LA, TX, NM, and AZ will accept valid out of state licensing. AZ has an exemption written into black letter law, as long as you're not using it for commerce. (BUT If you're not legal in MS, then you're illegal everywhere else too.)

A chase vehicle would be nice, but not essential. A flight back to MS is going to be $100 or so - less than the fuel for a chase vehicle to take you home.

My opinions, based on my experiences, involving these household moves -

Houston to Tulsa
Tulsa to Tucson
St Louis to Tucson
Tucson to NEBRASKA

You want to project competence. If you look clueless LEO will want to pull you over for a closer look. If LEO decides you're clueless, he'll want to write tickets even if not really warranted.

A 5ton without a trailer, with household items under a cargo cover is generally uninteresting to LEO. A matching M1082 behind it doesn't really add much interest. An M129 on a trailer dolly behind an M923, driven like you're scared to death of it will attract attention.

An M129 on a trailer dolly behind an M923 is going to be an ungainly beast. It'll be very easy to get it some place where the choice is to go forward without enough room for it to offtrack, or to have to back up. This choice won't end well.

Last edited:

BnaditCorps

You want to project competence. If you look clueless LEO will want to pull you over for a closer look. If LEO decides you're clueless, he'll want to write tickets even if not really warranted.

A 5ton without a trailer, with household items under a cargo cover is generally uninteresting to LEO. A matching M1082 behind it doesn't really add much interest. An M129 on a trailer dolly behind an M923, driven like you're scared to death of it will attract attention.
This is perfect advice about driving in general. I know several cops and they all say that there are virtually no vehicles they can't find a reason to pull over (light out, missing license plate, speeding, no seat belt, phone, etc., etc.) the only reason they pull a car over is because it is suspicious or the driver looks nervous. You could have a trunk full of dope and as long as you drive smart and have a well maintained vehicle you would get to your destination fine. But if you were nervous and not confident you would get pulled over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks