• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cross country time!

firecontrol86

Well, my tour up here in IL is finally over! Time to move on to greener pastures(or Afghan deserts in my case). I'm moving the wife back to San Diego in the M1009 and just wanted to throw a lifeline out there for support. Belts, harmonic balancer, all fluids, wheel bearings, rear shoes, and some other comfort related things have been done in the last few weeks. Anybody familiar with the 80W going through Colorado? How bad are the mountain passes? I know it's going to be slow going and a #%*load of money in diesel, but it's my only option. Any help is much appreciated!

I80 doesn't go through Colorado, but if you are on 70 you have 2 significant passes (Loveland - bypassed through the tunnel; Vail). It's slow going in a CUCV, but very doable. If you run into any problems in Summit or Eagle county, I'd be glad to help out. Otherwise, it's a straight shot in and once past Vail, a straight shot out of Colorado. Lots more scenic ways to cross the state can be recommended, but that's the fastest one. I'm 2 miles off of 70 in Eagle County and have access to a full mechanical shop, so shout if you need anything.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on which route you decide to take south toward San Diego, I am near I15 and I40 outside of Barstow. If you decide to go all the way south to I10 or I8, then I'm not more than an hour to an hour-and-a-half drive from either. PM me if you need contact info and best of luck.

firecontrol86

I80 doesn't go through Colorado, but if you are on 70 you have 2 significant passes (Loveland - bypassed through the tunnel; Vail). It's slow going in a CUCV, but very doable. If you run into any problems in Summit or Eagle county, I'd be glad to help out. Otherwise, it's a straight shot in and once past Vail, a straight shot out of Colorado. Lots more scenic ways to cross the state can be recommended, but that's the fastest one. I'm 2 miles off of 70 in Eagle County and have access to a full mechanical shop, so shout if you need anything.
Thanks for the info, so the Loveland pass can be bypassed through a tunnel? Is it pretty clearly marked how to use the tunnel?

firecontrol86

Depending on which route you decide to take south toward San Diego, I am near I15 and I40 outside of Barstow. If you decide to go all the way south to I10 or I8, then I'm not more than an hour to an hour-and-a-half drive from either. PM me if you need contact info and best of luck.
Yeah right now we're running right through Barstow, we drove up here and went the 15 route. You'll be on the home stretch of our trip.

armytruck63

You might want to consider travelling at night in the desert southwest. It's been 105 degrees and above for a daytime high in Barstow recently. The low at night is around 75.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The desert has been pretty hot lately, 2 tourists just died from heat exposure in Josuha Tree a few days ago, so if you can keep the driving at night thru the desert then all the better.

armytruck63

Also, I would avoid I-8 at this time of year if you don't have A/C. The temps are probably 5 to 15 degrees hotter than I-40/I-15 and the humidity is probably a little higher as well.

Barrman

The tunnel is part of I-70. You actually have to look for the road to the pass and exit the interstate. Here is a link about it:
http://www.coloradodot.info/travel/eisenhower-tunnel/description.html

I am looking at taking my M1009 to just West of the tunnel this winter. Those of you that live up there. How much down on power is the NA 6.2 at 8K plus feet? Can't hit 60 on flat ground, can't hit 50, can't hit 40 or just can't climb the mountains above 30?

Last edited:
I can't compare to really lower elevations because I live at 8k and usually go up from there, but pulling up to the tunnel, or up Vail pass, I'm doing about 30 in the M1028 with lots of black smoke and the foot to the floor.

As for the tunnel, you'll go right through it. You would have to exit right before it to go over Loveland Pass proper.

firecontrol86

So according to that link, the steepest part is pulling up to the tunnel. How long is the approach to the tunnel? So it's better once you get in it?

Anybody know how about any passes in Utah? I think there's at least one stretch going through the mountains there too.

Last edited:
You've got one pull to the top of Floyd Hill coming out of Denver, then another pull from Georgetown to the tunnel which is then flat and then a big down into Silverthorne. A much more gradual climb up to Copper, then a not so bad climb to the top of Vail pass.

As for UT, you've got a pull west of green river up to the plateau, then downhill to Richfield. Much more gradual gains than the CO side.

I wouldn't worry about any of them. It's a major interstate. Just watch your back for someone going 85 coming up on you when you are passing a semi going 25 when you are going 35.

Don't know what your timing looks like, but if you can avoid leaving west from Denver on a weekend, you'll save yourself a ton of traffic.

Sirblissfull

Without a turbo.

Rule of thumb is you lose 3 percent of your horse power per one thousand feet above sea level.

Ten thousand foot pass your running at 70 percent power.

Without a turbo.

firecontrol86

You've got one pull to the top of Floyd Hill coming out of Denver, then another pull from Georgetown to the tunnel which is then flat and then a big down into Silverthorne. A much more gradual climb up to Copper, then a not so bad climb to the top of Vail pass.

As for UT, you've got a pull west of green river up to the plateau, then downhill to Richfield. Much more gradual gains than the CO side.

I wouldn't worry about any of them. It's a major interstate. Just watch your back for someone going 85 coming up on you when you are passing a semi going 25 when you are going 35.

Don't know what your timing looks like, but if you can avoid leaving west from Denver on a weekend, you'll save yourself a ton of traffic.
Thanks for that, I didn't even think about slow going semi's while I'm slow going. Definitely gonna keep an eye to the rear. I think we should be hitting CO around Mon or Tues, so that should be a go hopefully. Thanks for all the tips.

Also, grab as much fuel in Denver as possible, it's about $0.40 more up here. Do the same in Fruita (truck stop on S. side of hwy), as they rip you once you cross the boarder due to the long stretches you have to pull between stations. Great burgers at the Charburger on the N. side of the hwy in W. Glenwood, great pizza at Hot Tomato further west in downtown Fruita.