• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cross country time!

armytruck63

Good luck on your trip. We are expecting cooler weather this weekend in SOCAL, which should help once you get out here. Send an SOS if you run into any problems.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvChjHcABPA[/media]

McCluskey

Once you get through The Pass in Colorado and get into Utah it's pretty flat on I-15 until you take the corner through Arizona then its all flat through Vegas, Barstow, Victorville, then you get into the Cajon Pass entering down in toward the Inland Empire. I'm in Orange County, so you have some help along your route.

Just remember if you're hauling a trailer the speed limit in California is 55MPH. CHP loves to pop out of state drivers for that.

firecontrol86

Thanks for all the tips and words of advise guys. We made it out of Chicago and we're in DeMoine, IA now. Kinda a short day, but we're making progress! 360 miles, avg. 17 MPG so far. She's doing good!

firecontrol86

Quick question for you highway gurus, would it be easier to take the 80w and avoid Colorado mts as much as possible? Our route right now is taking us through Denver on the 76, but looking at it I wonder if it's worth the extra time to take it easy on the truck?

firecontrol86

Well, 2149 miles later, we made it! Ended up pussing out and taking the 80w through Wyoming instead of the 70 through Denver. Wasn't sure about the Rockies towing my wife's car. Still ended up with a few hard pulls up a couple passes in Wyoming and Utah, but the old girl held strong! Thanks to everybody for all the advise! I will say this, the next time I pull a trip like this it will be with a turbo and a 4 speed!

Barrman

You flat towed a car the entire trip? Cool. What kind of performance and mpg's did you get. I am still trying to figure out where the drop off is on these 6.2's. I know empty, below 60 and flat equals great performance and 20 plus mpgs. Push it over 65 and 16-17 mpg's are reality. I haven't tried a long trip with a huge load yet is why I ask.

Thanks.

firecontrol86

Good news! Bet you are tired.
Yes we were sir! I slept like a log!

Great! Now that you're in Southern California you can go to
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upcoming-events/72946-dirtbag-fall-2011-a.html
I wish I could be there, but I'm only in SOCAL for about a week. Then it's off to train with the Army and then Afghanistan!

[thumbzup]
Well the numbers are in, 2232 miles, 144.8 gals of diesel. That came out to 15.4 MPG! A lot higher than I was hoping for actually. Oh and the car was on a dolly, not flat tow. As far as performance Barrman, the flat ground wasn't too bad. It almost felt better under load, I know that sounds crazy but it did. Braking wasn't great, but I kept a huge buffer for that reason. Uphill, well like I said earlier I won't be doing a trip like this without a turbo again. It was definitely feeling a little underpowered. Probably didn't help that most of the time we were at a descent elevation, some of them were over 6000 ft above sea level. Would I do it again, only if I had to. Do I have a lot more respect for my truck? Absolutely!