• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cross country tool and sprae part list

coastalconstruction

Any one have a good / complete tool box and spares list for a cross country road trip (possibly winter timetrip)
I bought a Duece in michigan and live in washington state and need to goet it home. (how smart am I ?) I had planned on having it trucked but made the mistake of not getting a price first. Im getting prices of over $5000 00 to have it hauled .ot to sound chep, but - I Imm having a very hard time with that. Im weighing it all out .A tool and spares list would be very helpful. Im good with old trucks but Ive never owned or driven a duece.
Any input is helpful. The trucks is supposed to be in good shape and reay to roll .
Thanks
Lance

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you know about the truck? Is it roadworthy? Got brakes/license. You seen it yet? Sounds like a good trip. Take everything you can - that way, if you have it, you won't need it! I'd make sure I had a grease gun and start with a full service before you leave, especially the filters, and I would have at least one extra set of fuel filters. Make sure you have a jack and lug wrench. Also have some fuel conditioner that will lower the pore point of fuel. Have some extra wire and a multimeter, in case you need to make a jumper.

You might at least start out by routing your trip from one MV Dealer to the next. Once you get going, your sure to think of something you need.

Lee in Alaska

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There was a similar thread like this a while ago. THE most important tool that I would have never thought about was a cell phone. Lots of guys on this board are able to help someone in a jam. Make sure you are able to contact someone for help. After you have that, pack every tool you own.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think in terms of what you need for specific tasks, such as changing a tire (jack, lugnut wrench and road emergency triangles/reflectors), replacing a headlight (spare light bulbs), the turn signal flasher (get a spare, no fun in traffic without a flasher), check the fuel tank for contaminents (rust particles caused a breakdown on my cross country trip, jamming the IP fuel plunger), replace filters, Rainex (incase the windshield wipers don't do their job), airhose for airing up tires, extra water, fuel and oil, earplugs, baseball cap (no sun visor here), make sure that the passenger side mirror is adjusted right at all times (can't be adjusted while driving and is important when changing lanes). The list goes on, stop at truck stops for fuel and food, take your time and think ahead for every move, yeah and stay in contact with the steelsoldiers, your greatest asset.

Attachments

bottleworks

I would by pass the FDC, but that may just be me. Better safe then sorry. Be sure to check the brake fluid often! Stock setup uses DOT 5 brake fluid.

chuck500cc

Someone posted a suggestion that after you service everything stop after 20 miles or so and check tire preasure, axel/break temps, lugnuts. I am going to carry a pair of my hunting radios. May be kinda hard to hear but they can light up and get you attetion. Have a chase vehicle if you can get one. The chase vehicle can flag you down if something goes wrong and you start loosing fluids gallons at a time. Or it can do a "on the fly" drive-by checking for low tires and hot or leaking items while driving. Anybody...........?Anybody...........?

EO2NMCB

Just speaking as a trucker, Alcohol for the air lines, a way to drop the volts down to 12v to run a cb radio to check weather ahead. Also by law you have to carry chains in the winter months in the western states.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a "LapTop". Motels will have terminals! You can keep us posted - or maybe use it to call for help.

Lee in Alaska

FreightTrain

Banned
Extra tires,Bucket of oils(90wt GL1 and 15W40),maybe a bucket of water,some antifreeze(For this one time trip you can use normal green stuff but if you put even a drop of standard automotive junk drain and flush the coolant system when you get home),extra tires,Bulbs,Flashlight,extra fuel filters,As many tools as you own,Cell phone with a custom charger that you can cut the end off of and hook to one battery to get 12 volts on the road if you need a charge,Credit card with a BIG limit,Duct tape,Lots and Lots of Duct tape,electrical repair kit(roll of wire,crimper,and assortment of ends),a 4-8foot peice of thick wall pipe(gas pipe from the hardware store) to use as a cheater pipe on lugnuts that REFUSE to move.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The price the commercial carrier was going to charge, may seem like a lot, but doing it yourself won't be cheap.
Each one of those States that you cross will want to sell you a permit (temporary license). I have lost touch, but I will guess that they will want $50 to $100 for each State, depending some on your weight, how they feel, and the miles you are going to cover. They will probably want you to have a CDL and carry a log book. So you'll want to have your paper work in order: Title, proof of insurance..... etc.

Rand McNalley puts out a large Atlas for Truckers. It has lots of DOT Information in it. Most notable are the locations of the Scales, often with phone numbers, and the rules for each state. Those DOT Guys will yell at you pretty bad, if they think you are trying to beat them out of a nickel. I'd never advise anyone to "go around a scale", mind you, but you just might find having the Atlas handy, to plan the route of your trip!.

Lee in Alaska

FreightTrain

Banned
get you a Digital camo shirt and drive.As for scales,Per federal you don't have to have to stop,have a log book,fuel permits,etc.Most states(including Alabama) dumped/changed their commercial laws when the federal goverment implimented thier rules to help standardize things.Several less free states(mainly blue ones) have their own restrictions.I would just throw on some cammies and haul ass.Drive by the scales and keep on trucking as if you were military.I drove mine for about a year(first year) here in town without a tag,insurance,registration etc and NEVER got stopped.Since 2002 I have never been stopped and checked and this year I have had a tag but not installed(bolts fell out and too lazy to replace).Drove mine in 2 states this year and not a lick of problems.

OD_Coyote

coastalconstruction said:
Any one have a good / complete tool box and spares list for a cross country road trip (possibly winter timetrip)
I bought a Duece in michigan and live in washington state and need to goet it home. (how smart am I ?) I had planned on having it trucked but made the mistake of not getting a price first. Im getting prices of over $5000 00 to have it hauled .ot to sound chep, but - I Imm having a very hard time with that. Im weighing it all out .A tool and spares list would be very helpful. Im good with old trucks but Ive never owned or driven a duece.
Any input is helpful. The trucks is supposed to be in good shape and reay to roll .
Thanks
Lance
Hey Coastal - If need any help once you get in WA state, let me know.
Also, I you need to take a look at deuce before the you get yours you are welcome to look mine over.

Chris.

bugei

call your insurance guy and get insurance on the truck before you go.

go to the local dmv and get a 10 day (or what ever it is there), or have someone in michigan get you one, that way you have something that resembles registration.

i had a mechanic at the "from" end go end to end for me, cost me about 400 bucks, but added a bunch of confidence. brakes, fluids, and talked him into putting about 100 miles on it with dump runs and stuff before i got there. i was not thrilled about someone drivng MY TRUCK, but that at least gave me some confidence that it was not going to "spew" and that it would start and stop a few times.

make sure that you have chase truck that can at least drag you off the road if something "bad" happens. and to carry or fetch if you break. obviously "drag off the road implements" are a good idea.

one cool duece thing is that they can blow 1 dual and drive with NO problem, this little fact saved my a$$. 50 miles no problem, $35 for a patch at les schwab and i was rock'n. they even evened out the tire pressure which made a HUGE difference

high limit credit card, cell phone, big tool set with big tools, a good friend, luck and some mre's

all the stuff that the guys mentioned above and the stuff in the sticky.

bring some wire and some clips and drag 12 volts off one of the batteries, you can have a cb and your ipod will remained charged, don't worry, an ipod will not affect your ability to enjoy the sound of the duece, it goes through your bones.

i am an over planner, and freak when things go wrong. but i did prepare myself emotionally and financially for a "disaster". i talked myself into taking EVERYTHING in stride, and convinced myself that the adventure was "fun" no matter what. AND IT WAS

i can say my recovery went well, had a blast, my friends had a blast, and me and my truck became very very close.

prepare to be surrounded at every stop, every man, woman and child will want to see the "big truck". you will hear stories about vietnam, iraq, kuwait, volunteer fire fighting, construction, and convoys from hell all with more great memories than you ever knew existed, somehow even a bad time is good in a duece. amazed that 55 is really a fun speed when that is all you have. shocked that you are getting 13 mpg in a 10,000# truck. and be warned that your face will cramp from the big smile that will be stuck on it. and then there is the moment when your wife will see "IT" and be amazed that you have "regressed"

have fun, be safe.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im all about doing things the right way, but to get your truck home, ehhhh, it's OK to take some liberties... However, if you dont have insurance, your screwed if something happens to you, or you happen to someone else... Go get insurance if nothing else to get you home.

Barrman

I took part in a similar trip a few months ago. A 3/4 ton or 1 ton chase vehicle with a pintle hook and a medium tow bar is a great "what if" safety plan. We had tools piled up everywhere but besides checking the fluid levels, we didn't need them. That is mostly due to the truck and the fact that Chris, Gimpyrobb, had the truck for a few weeks and went over everything on the list already posted several times.

Another plus to the chase vehicle is speed regulation. Knowing that you have hundreds of miles to cover when the day starts makes you want to push the speed as much as you can. Having the regular truck in front set the cruise control at 54 or 55 makes the M35 driving just a matter of "follow me" instead of trying to read a map, control speed, find where on the passenger side floor board you water rolled off to and look at your cell phone to see how many calls you missed thing.

I was involved in another M35 recovery two years ago that almost went wrong because we didn't check the battery terminals for tightness before we left. A post got melted off and we had no lights about half way home.

Check everything, don't push the speed and enjoy your new truck.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is going to be a great adventure! take lots of pictures and post as you go! and ditto on the CB radio and the biggest antenna you can put on. In some places the cellphone might not work so well. Also a GPS an compass is handy, and a spare flashlight? and a couple blankets and thermal undies in case you have to spend some time in the cold. flares, highway triangle reflectors, rain-x, ice scraper. ether. Does the heater work? voltmeter, wire cutters and tape.

emr

I saw a mint CCKW full canvas a fifty under canvas on ring, nice ben hur trailer w/canvas, on rt 80 and said man she's sweet so me and my son got off the next exit and went on the on ramp the way he was headed, my son said, think we will catch him, i laughed and said probably! so we cought up , pulled up to him and said :Hey nice truck he smiled and we pulled over to talk, always looking to sign another club member, well he was from Flarida, and bought it sight unseen from Maine, flew up got in and drove, well without the lecture i gave him about all U guys said above, i would have done it too, I would have scheduled a complete service all fluids first at a truck garage though first, but then he started to tell the whao's on the 8th fuel filter, constantly clogging, fuel looked clean when he left, rust in bottom of this pristine vehicles tank finally was braking free, So I called a guy i new who had one since it was not a vehicle i had any experience with <YET> so we got it to my friends house and pulled the tank flushed the fuel lines and scrubbed the tank, his sons arm just fit the hole we soaked and scrubbed, it was noon when i met him and it was 3:30 A.M. when we waved him off and sent him on his way with a full belly and some coffee and treats, he had my phone#, the next day around 3to4 P.M. i got a call he was only in P.A. dont ask why he went that way, but he spun a bearing, so i started calling Red Ball members, I got Bob Rubino who was on the tank show recently, now I know him good then i did not, He said "ok can he get to my shop if not i will go get him and tell him he can stay 1 month for free after that he has to pay my standard storage fee, If he wants me to fix it i can do that too", What a great guy Bob is, He did what he said he would do, and the Florida guy had it shipped back to his home the next week, so i guess im saying it is worth it no matter what happens as long as nobody gets hurt, its something U will remember for the rest of Your life,He will!!!Also met some good guys on the way part of the hobby i guess. Randy.