• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

crossover steering...

Finally got a free day to install my crossover setup from northwest fab.everything went well except the tie rod was 2 inches to long...a trim with a zip wheel and all was well.
al thats left is a test drive and some means to install the steering stabalizer.

Attachments

Croatan_Kid

How much lift are you running? I want to say I remember the minimum lift requirement for crossover on solid axle Chevys is 4 inches. If it can be done with less lift, that'd be great.

generally the minimum...

as a general rule,thats the least lift you can run with crossover.iv'e got a little over an inch and a half clearance at the spring.you might get away with a little less lift if you measure carefully.

Croatan_Kid

I think I'm just going to go with 4 inch Tuff Country HD springs. They have a spring rate of 495, they should work out pretty nice. Also, do yall think it's necessary to have the sway bar if I used 495 rated springs?

CCATLETT1984

i dont run the sway bar with my superlift's but i dont recall what weight rating they are. I have a set of sway bar quick disconnects that would drop it enough for you to run the sway bar.

anther thing, if you run crossover steering, you basically have to run without the sway bar. or mount on behind the axle.

ultim8gamr

I've been running the tuff country HDs since march. no sway bar and no complaints. To stay on topic tho, what are they charging for the crossover kit? if ya dont mind. i'd like to run it on my truck eventually

Croatan_Kid

There are quite a few companies that offer cross over for old Chevys, but the two that stick out at me are Northwest Fab and Off Road Design. Also, they both offer hi-steer kits if you need it. I think both companies prices are around 450, give or take depending. Oh, don't forget the 2wd steering box. You could pull one offa truck that works or have one rebuilt and tapped for hydraulic assist which quite effectively takes the place of a steering stabilizer :D

not that bad...

basic crossover kit (drag link,ends,steering arm,pitman arm),1 1/2 x .250 wall tie rod plus ends for same,and a stud kit for the right side including conical nuts,came to 660$ canadian including shipping.(vancouver island to edmonton).

the large tie-rod is an option.check out northwest fabs websight for details.
keep in mind that the current U.S. to CAN$ exchange is not in your favor right now...but it's so close it would only make about 20 or 30 bucks difference.i used NWF because it's a canadian company,makes good stuff,shipping was cheap and relatively quik,and i didn't have to deal with any customs hassel or use UPS.

off road design also makes excellent parts.since your south of the border it's likely your better choice (perhaps slightly pricier).

www.offroaddesign.com
www.northwestfab.com

CCATLETT1984

RE: not that bad...

I got my kit from northwest fab, and couldnt be happier. plus they are great to talk to if needed.
I also purchased there ARP stud kit, since they are rated MUCH stronger than the factory studs. (180,000psi iirc)

Croatan_Kid

Today at work I was asking a buddy of mine if he came across any 2wd boxes in his travels and one of my co-workers said I could have the one off of his parts truck. It was either a 71 or a 77, I can't remember which he said it was. Anyway, were all the 2wd boxes the same or do I need one from an 80s era truck?

CCATLETT1984

you need the later era truck, the earlier ones use a different seal type for the hydraulic hoses.
and the early ones had a different spline size/count on the top where the steering shaft connects.

Croatan_Kid

I asked him today and he said it was a 76. I told him the deal about what I needed and he said to come check it out and if I could use it I could have it.