• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cruise Control in my M1009

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Has anyone put a cruise control in there M1009 Blazer? Is it even a possibility with the 6.2 liter diesel? What do you guys think?
I have a 87 Sub with a 6.2 and cruise, I would imagine you would just need to find all the pieces from a yard, and you'd be good to go.

Ed

papercu

Junk yard takeoff would be a pain to install. I used a after market unit on another type truck that was easy to install and seemed to work well. Wayne

Crash_AF

Junk yard takeoff would be a pain to install. I used a after market unit on another type truck that was easy to install and seemed to work well. Wayne
I don't know about the GM stuff, but I've installed cruise control in three Ford trucks and two Jeeps, all I needed for them was the cruise control box, the servo, speed sensor and the buttons on the steering wheel. For the 79 Bronco, I needed to pull the small harness to the control box, but it was a separate system from the main wiring harness.

Late model vehicles are easy as most of the stuff is already there, the 99 Jeep and 98 Dodge Ram I added cruise to just needed the steering wheel buttons, clock spring, and servo added.

I read over my 85 GM parts manual and it appears that the only diesel specific parts are the control module, the servo that mounts above the IP and the harness extension that runs back to the firewall harness. The rest of the parts can be had from any GM truck of the same year with an automatic transmission.

The list of parts required according to the parts breakdown are:
The cruise control wiring harness
The turn signal control stalk
The brake light switch
The vacuum release valve (beside the brake light switch)
The vacuum reservoir
The instrument cluster mounted speed sensor
(note: should bolt to any speedo)
The control module w/ bracket (6.2 only)
The harness extension (6.2 only)
The cruise servo (6.2 only)

Now, I am not sure how the cruise harness will interface with the CUCV wiring harness, if at all, since it is so different from the standard GM C/K harness.

Later,
Joe

NMC_EXP

Has anyone put a cruise control in there M1009 Blazer? Is it even a possibility with the 6.2 liter diesel? What do you guys think?
Generic aftermarket units are available. Had one on vehicle 10 years ago. Think it ran off a magnetic pickup added to the driveshaft or some such.

Control consisted of an on/off rocker switch mounted on the dash and a kill switch hooked thru the brake light switch..

Worked fine.

Regards

Jim

niferous

I got a quote from a guy to do my CUCV for just the kit. It seemed about as expensive as adding AC so I refrained at that point. I may in the future but it's not that big of a priority.

Barrman

Here is a kit like what you want:
Rostra 250-1223 Universal Electric Cruise Control Kit

JC Whitney might have it cheaper but I didn't look there this morning. You can put the magnet on the drive shaft for the VSS. A mid '80's Dodge Omni had an electronic VSS built into the mechanical speedometer cable. Buy one of them, put it down at the transmission and wire it into the shown kit.

I haven't gotten around to doing it to the M1009 yet, but I have added the same basic kit to my M715, '66K20 and a 1953 Studebaker p/u I had years ago. All the kits say in the instructions that there is a special adaptor needed for diesel use. Don't buy anything until you talked to someone and verify you are getting all you need for it to work with the 6.2.

They even offer switches that will replace the stock CUCV turn signal stalk with one of theirs that looks just like a factory cruise switch set up. You will probably be in the $300 range by the time you are finished doing all the work yourself.