• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crushed Bead Lock

Generally speaking, our wheel rims have popped right out of our tires pretty easily with a little persuasion from a tire iron. Four of our wheels were clean and dry inside when we disassembled them. There is minimal corrosion on the wheels and bead locks. Basically, it all went well and the hardware is in good shape.

Removed Inner Wheel Halves.jpg

Three Inner Wheel Halves.jpg

Our fifth wheel is a different story. Our driver side front wheel assembly was visually different from all the others from the beginning. The tire had more tread and was a newer date tire than the rest. All the studs were a little bit rustier, and there was notable RTV on the rim nuts. Also, the inboard wheel half was painted with sand CARC and the others were black.

When we tried to disassemble the fifth wheel, it was very stubborn and did not budge with tire irons and hammering, so we made a debeading tool specifically for that wheel. At 400 ft-lb of torque on the tool, it produced about 31,000 lbs of bead breaking force.

Debeading Tool.jpg

Debeader Tool on Outer Wheel Half.jpg

The debeading tool worked pretty well to remove the outboard wheel half. Once we got the outer wheel half off, we noticed several things: RTV was all over the bead and retaining bolts, significant rust on the inboard wheel half flange, and notable moisture / water.

After multiple days of trying to remove the inboard wheel half of the fifth tire, even with the mondo debeading tool, the inner wheel would not come off. We resorted cutting the sidewall of the tire with a jigsaw. A note on cutting the sidewall: it’s super easy. We used one fine tooth metal cutting jigsaw blade (~$1.75) and it only took about 15 minutes. It wrecked the tire, but got the hub out.

What we found in the fifth tire was interesting. The bead lock was completely crushed and crimped around the wheel, and there was about a liter of water in the tire. Evidently when in military service, the tire had gone flat and had somehow crushed the bead lock (??) and accumulated water. We’re not actually sure how that happens, but it evidently did. Just by looking at it, we are 100% sure we did not crush the bead lock during debeading.

An abrasive disc on the grinder freed the bead lock pretty easily. The wheel is a bit rusty so we’ll have to see if it needs replacing. The O-ring seal surface looks fine, but the rest of the wheel looks a little rough right now and we still need to get the bead off of it.

Sidewall Cut Tire.jpg

Crushed Bead Lock.jpg

Strangely enough, the tire was not leaking and was one of the better "looking" wheels.

I might be in the market for a new inner wheel half. We will also need a new bead lock.....

Michael

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fine indeed! I'm jealous of your engineering abilities and hanger machine shop. I have to make due with a friend who gives McGyver a run for his money.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I wouldnt re-use the rusty one. But if you have light rust you can lightly sand the o-ring seating area and paint with rust primer. I like to use a bit of rtv around the whole area when putting it all back together. Others will tell you not to. Its more personal preference.
Will

I'm thinking we will have to replace the wheel. The outer wheel half looks fine, but the inboard half is really rusty.

We are going to try powder coating all the rims. They'll get abrasive blasted down to clean mental and then get a nice smooth coat of gloss powder coat. We'll see how it works.

I'm pretty happy with how that bead beaker tool turned out. It works pretty well.

Anyone out on the west coast have a rim they don't need?

Michael

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do have one with bead lock and ctis valve/hoses in New Orleans shipping probably will be high but I can drop off at fastenall. Pm if interested

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks