• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CTIS DASH PICS

awolhmv

Anybody have some good dash pics showing the gauges? Any good under hood shots of compressor and manifold? I am adding CTIS to my 1123 and am looking for close to OEM ideas before winging it

Hummer Guy

Anybody have some good dash pics showing the gauges? Any good under hood shots of compressor and manifold? I am adding CTIS to my 1123 and am looking for close to OEM ideas before winging it
When you're finished, please let us know how this go. From what I know, you're going to have to modify your geared hubs or get some that was made for the CTIS if you want to go the OEM route, and that can get costly. I met one guy on the youtube comment section months ago that told me he was adding CTIS, but I don't recall his name

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This subject comes up from time to time, I think in the end most feel the cost and a major increase in maintenance is just not worth it, the seals and the "tube" they seal to will wear when pressurized causing the increased maint. and loss of reliability, going into the hubs to fix is a PITA
It is no problem for those that can afford the mega price of a HUMMER to pay someone else to maintain the system.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
This subject comes up from time to time, I think in the end most feel the cost and a major increase in maintenance is just not worth it, the seals and the "tube" they seal to will wear when pressurized causing the increased maint. and loss of reliability, going into the hubs to fix is a PITA
It is no problem for those that can afford the mega price of a HUMMER to pay someone else to maintain the system.
IMO... A good compressor some hose... sex it up with a gauge, tank, valve, a sign, even some air tools? Way cheaper and universal use.

Sign on HumV. "Air On Board" way more useful. Not to say CTIS couldn't work too.

Ding Ding.... Filler Up Goober, CAMO

Blank-Diamond-Yellow-Caution-Sign.png

BLK HMMWV

I believe the compressor was mounted up on the shelf near the windshield washer reservoir.
I think I have one someplace I can take a picture of it.
Thats all I can contribute.
I was planning on just plumbing to a storage tank and not do the whole CTIS hub thing.

dilvoy

It seems that I have forgotten how to link a photo to this site. I'll figure it out, but it may take a couple of days until I can get back to it. You can search for photos of a Special Forces HMMWV. That might bring up a dash photo. The CTIS is a cool item. The later HMMWV Spindles are CTIS ready with the hole drilled through. You can get the parts from some of the Humvee and Hummer Vendors for the different steering arms and hoses can be fabricated up. The air compressor is easy, just buy a commrecial one and run it off of twelve volts or get a twenty four volt compressor. There are many for sale from surplus, but are usually larger than the ones used for CTIS. The hardest part is the manifold with the inflate and deflate solenoids. There were quite a few dash panels with the two gauge holes for sale a while back, maybe ten years ago. They could still be floating around. It is nice to be able to inflate and deflate at a touch of a switch and for when you don' t need it like when you are city driving usually, you can remove the hoses from the hub to the tire shrader valve. Tom Cepek was making some quick release hoses, but they may have been specialized for the wheels he made. If you gather parts when you find then, you will eventually have what you need.

Attachments

Last edited:

badger_610889

I have enjoyed CTIS on racing SUVs back in the days, very helpful for changes of terrain and weather like in Africa. I heard the A2 hubs may be CTIS ready and that's on my list to check and convert my A2 if that's the case.
Before that I need to complete its sanitation and get the M1123 on the road, but I'll get there.

I might have a book with some photos of special humvees with CTIS. I'll look into that and share pictures if I find them...

Autonomy_Lost

This is secondhand information, but I heard a story of a guy who had an H1 with CTIS and got a flat tire in a parking lot...apparently he had something set wrong and it resulted in all four tires going flat since they were all connected with the CTIS plumbing. Allegedly, could be a made up story who knows.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is secondhand information, but I heard a story of a guy who had an H1 with CTIS and got a flat tire in a parking lot...apparently he had something set wrong and it resulted in all four tires going flat since they were all connected with the CTIS plumbing. Allegedly, could be a made up story who knows.
it wouldn't surprise me.
When I was in the Army I was driving an LMTV that had a flaky CTIS brain box and would deflate your tires driving down the road.

badger_610889

I believe that those who make fun of CTIS have never used it seriously. I raced on a baja-style buggy and we had ctis for a while before it was banned in our category.
It was awesome and I've always missed it since, for any serious off-road. I found this stuff so addictive that I'm still wondering why it's not an expensive option on SUVs starting with Rubicons. Nowadays with stability controls and things, they could actually update the tire pressure based on the driving mode, even if driver would still have to choose between a few modes. My daily driver has pneumatic suspension with magnetic locks that make is super versatile and I love it. I'd love my humvee to switch to a softer air spring, lower tire pressure by flipping a switch when hitting a sandy trail then be able to switch back to stiff mode when hitting the fast gravel roads :love:

BLK HMMWV

I believe that those who make fun of CTIS have never used it seriously. I raced on a baja-style buggy and we had ctis for a while before it was banned in our category.
It was awesome and I've always missed it since, for any serious off-road. I found this stuff so addictive that I'm still wondering why it's not an expensive option on SUVs starting with Rubicons. Nowadays with stability controls and things, they could actually update the tire pressure based on the driving mode, even if driver would still have to choose between a few modes. My daily driver has pneumatic suspension with magnetic locks that make is super versatile and I love it. I'd love my humvee to switch to a softer air spring, lower tire pressure by flipping a switch when hitting a sandy trail then be able to switch back to stiff mode when hitting the fast gravel roads :love:
Main reason is it leaks. ok for wrench turners but the guys that don't know how or don't want to work on their own stuff would find it a pain in the ass and most people don't probably ever take their truck off the road.
Here are a few pictures of what I believe is a Military CTIS pump.
4 wires
(3) with male connectors (2) tagged 436, and (1) tagged 437
(1) female tagged 57
DSCF2692.JPGDSCF2693.JPGDSCF2694.JPGDSCF2695.JPGDSCF2697.JPGDSCF2696.JPG

Last edited:

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do decide to install a CTIS, search for "air suspension manifold" or "air ride manifold" those solenoid blocks would make a handy valve setup (don't know if they come in 24 volts, but you can always add a resistor.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is secondhand information, but I heard a story of a guy who had an H1 with CTIS and got a flat tire in a parking lot...
Not made up. Happened to a friends H1. Went out one cold morning, and had all four tires flat and off the rim. Somehow I got volunteered to help put the tires back on. Had to jack up each tire and pop it back on with ether and a real compressor. The ether will pop the tire back on the rim, but the little CTIS compressor doesn't put out enough volume to keep it on the rim long enough to build up pressure, and the tire will just pop off again. The manual selector valves in the older CTIS systems collect moisture and corrosion products, and will slowly leak out the air through the valve stem. This gets worse when the temperature drops. It's not a problem if you drive every day, just add more air, but if the truck sits for a few days, you might get a surprise.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
same story I heard. The system leaks no matter what you do, so if the truck sits a few days the tires lose pressure.
It's very useful if you drive a lot and are constantly going on-road to off-road, but if you are primarily on road with little or no off roading, it's just a pain to deal with

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks