• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CTIS just stopped working.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is GEAR LUBE ! not a good thing , it usually means you have gear lube in YOUR tire and BEARINGS ! The same thing happened to me which is why I changer over to the A2 bearings . If you can check your wheel bearings I am sure you will find the GAA washed out of the bearings by the gear lube . Not a bad job , just big , heavy and messy !!!

dc239

Gear lube....well that doesn't sound good. How long can I drive it b4 it craps out on me? Ill literally be living in the woods with a hippie and an Indian so getting it fixed anytime soon is out of the question .

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard to say , but if you plan on driving home better get it serviced ,at least the rear boogie's . This system IMHO was OVERSOLD to the GOBERMENT as a great ADD ON , talk to anybody who worked on them and you find out the CTIS on the A3's was a constant fix !!!! . If you can find a shop that wants to work on your MV , it is not a bad job , pull the axles , than the hubs , burn off the air adapter with a torch , (heat up the epoxy sealant) then install A2 bearings and seals as normal . I think if you don't fix your seal leak , you WILL BE in the BREAKDOWN LANE on IS 90 ! good luck !

welldigger

Gear oil in the bearings isn't nearly the crisis some believe. In fact if there was a way to seal the oil in the hubs I would rather it be oil bath. The bearings run cooler and longer bathed in oil than they do in grease. The problem is the inner seal will not hold oil in a 2.5 Rockwell hub.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed ,oil bath bearings are great , but not in A3 rockwell , and it WILL take the GAA right out of the bearings , ask me how I know . You must service those bearings . Wait till he gets a price on the CTIS inner bearing !

welldigger

That's my point. As long as oil is getting in the bearings they aren't going to suddenly fail. Not saying they don't need to be looked at. I'm quite familiar with a3 Rockwells. I also agree the more of the ctis crap he gets rid of the better.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed , but I still would not feel real comfortable driving a distance with leaking seals , plus the gear oil getting on the brake linings , that's a for sure OOS on a DOT check . One HD tow job on the road could make the bearing fix seem like a bargain .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks